AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Lost impression share to budged suddenly skyrocket May 14-15 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Several accounts I manage have dropped from 50% impression share to 12% over night. NONE of my Key Performance Indicators, such as impressions, CPCs, average position have changed significantly.

When I look at the reasoning for this loss, its due to budget with amounts over 90%.

This is stressful because I have search impression share requirements, in contract, with my clients that are set to refrain from over competing.

From the data, what I am able to interpret is that the Google ad platform has determined to raise my eligibility for impressions by 500% overnight.

While this is great news to be ranking for more searches, it is a huge conflict of interest for my client and I as this is grounds for a termination of contract.

Why did Google implement such a drastic alteration to their ranking algorithm?

I have been optimizing for my markets for over a year and now I am frantically attempting to boost Impression share by scaling down my market, pausing nearly all my campaigns, and funneling budget into the campaigns that have the higher impression shares, whether or not they convert well. 

In case anyone asks, search impression share levels are not set directly by my client, but by their parent brand marketing compliance team.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I'm a bit confused and not sure I fully  I understand the scenario here;

At first, you mentioned  that IS dropped, and then you mentioned an increase. 

Could you outline  all metrics using bullets:

What is the change in IS due to rank?  Exact IS (which is a better metric)? And  IS due to budget?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ryan,

The Issue has been identified. Google lowered ad qualification for auctions to promote budget increases and ad spend. In regards to the automotive industry. They have temporarily suspended any impression share requirements through the summer.

Re: Lost impression share to budged suddenly skyrocket May 14-15 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Mitch G wrote:

Hey Ryan,

The Issue has been identified. Google lowered ad qualification for auctions to promote budget increases and ad spend. In regards to the automotive industry. They have temporarily suspended any impression share requirements through the summer.

@Mitch G;

Can you share the reference which supports this argument?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’