AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Lost data for google/paid when Adwords connected to Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Situation

I am tracking my campaign with custom links that have the utm_campaign, utm_source and utm_medium set. I also have conversion tracking set up and this seems to be working well. I've tracked three conversions from my social media messages and adwords.

I had the utm_source and utm_medium set to 'google' and 'paid' and in the Acquisition > Campaigns > All Traffic, I was able to see the data for google / paid under the campaign including the conversions.

What Happened

When I linked Google Adwords to Google Analytics, the following happened:

1. The 'google/paid' line in Acquisition > Campaigns > All Traffic disappeared.
  2. The Adwords > Campaigns only has the data from the day I switched.
  3. The Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium still has the former conversion data.

The Problem

1. Do I have to unlink Adwords to go back to how things were?
  2. If I wait will Analytics process the old data and show the older conversions?
  3. Why is All Traffic showing the old conversions, but the Adwords report does not show the old conversions?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Lost data for google/paid when Adwords connected to Analytics.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Praveen,

All the examples you've explained here are exactly what I would expect to see given your situation.

What likely happened here is that auto-tagging was enabled and the default/proper tags are being utilized - utm_source=google & utm_medium=cpc.

I don't think you lost your data, I just think it was tagged incorrectly.

You're going to have to pick, either manual or auto tagging for your AdWords URLs and stick with it. Anything outside of AdWords will obviously need to be manually tagged in order to show up in Google Analytics.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If I were to unlink Google Adwords from Analytics, will it revert back to using the manual tagging and show the old data?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Praveen, how are things?

First and most important thing: You shouldn't use UTMs parameters at the same time you have accounts linked and auto-tagging on. So if that's the case right now, you should definitely remove every UTM from your URLs.

Do I have to unlink Adwords to go back to how things were?
Absolutely not! Linking your accounts is THE BEST thing you can possibly do, and it's incredibly more effective than using UTMs.

If I wait will Analytics process the old data and show the older conversions?
Linking accounts shouldn't have effect on previous data. Make sure you are viewing the right range of date on the calendar and also make sure you do not have any filters active. When reaching "Acquistion" menu, by default Google only show the first 10 available information, so make sure to apply more then 10 at the end of the page.

Why is All Traffic showing the old conversions, but the Adwords report does not show the old conversions?
Adwords report is specific for when you have linked accounts, so it will only show data from the point you have made the link forward. It will not show past data here.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Your answers made a lot of sense, except the previous data disappearing:

Under Acquisitions > All Campaigns, I only have 4 total entries. The google/paid line disappeared on the day we linked our adwords account to analytics. I also do not have any filters active. It is as if the tracking I did previously with UTM for google/paid disappeared for some reason.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
The "Google / Paid" line disappeared only for the day the accounts were linked, or is it missing on every day?

If it's only for the day the link was made, is it possible that you create the link before your account receive any clicks? That way you wouldn't have any "google / paid" line on your GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The Google/Paid line disappeared completely for all days. I have been collecting data since September 17th 2015. The line is just gone. I had quite some data for the Google/Paid line including two verified conversions.

It's as if when I linked Adwords to Analytics, the Adwords report pulled out all data from All Campaigns. The weird thing is that the data is still there in All Traffic > Source/Medium, so I can pull it out that way.

It's just weird that the past data would disappear.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Praveen A
November 2015

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
If the data is still available at "Acquisition > All Traffic > Source / Medium", I think that Google only moved the information from the place you're used to check by the point you made the link.

Your data isn't lost. Since you have the link now, it's just a matter of getting used to where you can find each information.