AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Lost IS despite high Max CPC

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a particular keyword "widget" (phrase match) that has a 7/10 QS with a max CPC 0.72.  The est. first page bid is 0.01 and the est. top page bid is 0.35.  There is no budget issue.  The average CPC is 0.66.  However, the Lost IS (Rank) is  18% for Google Search and 5% for Partner Network.  These are stats for 1 day (yesterday).

Can you help me understand this?  I mean I thought that if I bid above the first page bid (I certainly bid way over that), my ad should be shown 100% with 0% Lost IS.  Why am I losing impression share despite the high bid?

Additional thought: I have some negative keywords for the campaign.  Could this be why?  I also have another keyword [widget] (exact match).  Could it be that some of the impressions are siphoned off to this keyword since they are competing?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Lost IS despite high Max CPC

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ulysses C ! Welcome to the Community,

It could be the QS of your competitors which may have a higher score than 7/10.

First of all what kind of Lost IS do you have , because there can be 2 :

"

• Search Lost IS (rank): The percentage of time that your ads weren't shown on the Search Network due to poor Ad Rank. Note: Lost IS (rank) won't be shown on your Ad groups tab if you ran out of budget at any point during the date range being examined.
  • Search Lost IS (budget): The percentage of time that your ads weren't shown on the Search Network due to insufficient budget. This data is available at the campaign level only."

1) Are you using scheduling ?

2) If you look at auction insights for the given time-frame where your Lost IS  has been 18% how many competitors have a percentage in the column "Position above rate" as described here : link

This could be an indicator that somebody has a better Ad Rank ( a better QS X MaxCPC)

3) Did you know that impressions for which you are eligible include impressions for which your MaxCPC could be twice the one you have now according to this explanation : link ?  ( expand How our system estimates impression share)

"  To estimate impression share, our system analyzes the ad auctions over the course of the day, and uses internal data such as Quality Score for you and your competitors. It includes all auctions where your ad showed or where the system estimates that your ad was competitive in the auction. For example, it could include auctions where your ad could show at twice its current bid, but could exclude auctions where your ad is estimated to need a 1,000% bid increase in order to appear.  "

4) Are you using accelerated delivery for Ads or standard ? Accelerated setting could in theory bring you more impressions.

I don't think I can diagnose the cause of your problem with surgical precision, but we can find out some things that you can improve to gather more impressions.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
HI Ulysses,

Welcome to the adwords CommunitySmiley Happy

Estimated top search bid is an estimated search bid which depends on the several factors like time, geography etc. as you have also mentioned that you have phrase match keywords, means it is the chances that it shows the ads on other search terms and also the chances that you lose some sort of impressions.

It is not always true that bidding above the first page estimation will give 100% impression share.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for some of the suggestions, particularly the auction insights -- didn't know it existed. It's an interesting report and I will study it.

Our Lost IS is purely due to Rank, not due to Budget. We don't do any specific / accelerated scheduling.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So does that mean that if I have both phrase match and exact match for "widget", I won't be able to get 100% IS for both keywords because only one can show for the exact term widget? That probably explains it.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks , Auction Insights is indeed a surprising tool. Some competitors bid on high MaxCPCs just 2 hours per day and otherwise you do not notice them.

During testing I noticed that keywords with QS of 7/10 do not have enough ad rank to gain the top 2-3 positions, so you should also check your avg. pos. metric. It could be bellow 3.0

What you can do to improve CTR is to make use of all available extensions : sitelinks with descriptions, location extension to show address of business, call extension to allow people to call directly when they see the ad and more. Read more about them here : link

Good luck !

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ulysses, no, the answer is probably in what Adrian has said, that although your bid of 0.72 is high, it may not always be high enough.  For example, it may be that there are periods of the day where someone has a much higher Max CPC and a better Quality Score.

If you want to achieve 100% IS, the easy answer is to increase your Max. CPC and/or Quality Score.

The key question you should ask though is whether your Account is profitable (assuming you're tracking conversion values).  Chasing this lost IS may be unprofitable in the long run.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits