AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Looking for more info about Website Call Conversion Tracking

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Good morning everyone, 

I have few questions about the Website call tracking code. I know that once you click on the ad to go to the website, the number would automatically change. The part that I don't quite understand is...

1. Why is the number still displaying on the site if you visited the website directly itself?
  2. Could it be because of the length of the cookie duration that was set for the tracking such as 30 days?
  3. If that's true, would that mean that the Google Forwarding number will display on the site regardless how you've arrived at the site (assuming that they've clicked on the ad in recent past)?
  4. How would that be effective if we're trying to track only ones that have clicked on the ads and visited the site then proceed to call the phone number from that site?

Thank you in advance for all of your insights.

Jenna Moakley

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jenna Moakley
September 2016

Re: Looking for more info about Website Call Conversion Tracking

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Jenna Moakley

1) It's cookie based.

2) Yes.

3) Yes, assuming the user is visiting from the same browser.

4) I'm curious as to why you only want to track that scenario?  It works like this because first-click attribution is useful to most advertisers.  

Something I've learned from using phone call tracking is that people will save numbers, call multiple times etc, so while your reason for wanting it to work this way may be valid, the chance of it being skewed is pretty high.

Looking for more info about Website Call Conversion Tracking

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

@David K

Thank you, that clears it up a lot. The reason why we wanted to track the scenario that I've listed was because we wanted to know if the person that arrived at the website was from our ads or different source.

I guess I never experienced Google Forwarding Number for the website to really know that's how it functions. I've used a 3rd party call tracking for a different client of mine because they requested for it, and it switches around the numbers based on where a user was coming from. I can safely say that I assumed that's how most call tracking for website works, just from that one time experience. Boy, I was wrong! 

Thank you so much again!

Jenna

Re: Looking for more info about Website Call Conversion Tracking

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Jenna Moakley

I actually use a third-party as well, because like you I need to track multiple sources.  However, it still attributes first-click.  It's the javascript rewrite program that does this, not the forwarding number itself.

If someone comes from organic search, the number is rewritten to the organic number. If they come back direct, or click and Adwords ad, the organic number will still be the one that is rewritten to the user. We want to attribute the call/lead to the channel that first introduced them.