AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Locating AdWords Conversions in Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear AdWords Community:

Hi again! Smiley Happy Wanted to know if anyone could send some info/advice my way on a conversion tracking issue.

I am managing a client who already has enabled tracking in adwords, analytics, and linked both accounts. The issues are:

- Analytics is reporting LESS conversions than adwords for the same time period. Called Google on this one and they basically told me to stick to adwords conversion reports rather than Analytics. Comments?

- I want to make a detailed report showing the client just which ecommerce transactions came from adwords, but not only that; I also want to match each single adwords conversion to the specific product that was purchased on site. So far, I can locate the conversions in Analytics (even though again, there is a mismatch in the number of conversions reported as google/cpc vs the actual conversions in adwords) but all I can see is the transaction IDs. Does adword pass along to Analytics a transaction ID for each conversion? How could I link the specific conversions in Analytics and adwords?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
May 2016

Re: Locating AdWords Conversions in Analytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Camilo,

Q1Analytics is reporting LESS conversions than adwords for the same time period. Called Google on this one and they basically told me to stick to adwords conversion reports rather than Analytics. Comments?

A: Google Adwords and Analytics numbers would never match 100%; This is because both platforms use different logic to assign conversions. Adwords uses the first click mechanism where in any subsequent non adwords ad click in the next 30 days after the first adwords ad click will still lead to the first ad click getting the conversion.

Google Analytics does the reverse, it attributes the conversion to the source that the user used just before the conversion took place, which may or may not be adwords.

Q2: I want to make a detailed report showing the client just which ecommerce transactions came from adwords, but not only that; I also want to match each single adwords conversion to the specific product that was purchased on site. So far, I can locate the conversions in Analytics (even though again, there is a mismatch in the number of conversions reported as google/cpc vs the actual conversions in adwords) but all I can see is the transaction IDs. Does adword pass along to Analytics a transaction ID for each conversion? How could I link the specific conversions in Analytics and adwords?

A: As I've mentioned above, Adwords and GA numbers will never match. However, if your accounts are linked, and you have set Autotagging on then you should be able to map the Ecomm numbers with Adwords campaigns / keywords. If you have manual tagging on then as long as your tagging is correct, you should be able to map the numbers.

In the ecommerce section, please go to product performance, set your secondary dimension to Adwords campaigns, you should be able to see details about your campaigns and the products that got sold as a result. There are many custom reports that you can create that should help you map these as well. For the same, please click on customization and then create a new report:

Try imagining what your report would look like in terms of rows and columns in your mind and then try adding dimensions for the rows and metrics for the columns you've identified.

Please feel free to reach out with more questions, might need some more data, but would be more than glad to help out.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
May 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Camilo,

Q1Analytics is reporting LESS conversions than adwords for the same time period. Called Google on this one and they basically told me to stick to adwords conversion reports rather than Analytics. Comments?

A: Google Adwords and Analytics numbers would never match 100%; This is because both platforms use different logic to assign conversions. Adwords uses the first click mechanism where in any subsequent non adwords ad click in the next 30 days after the first adwords ad click will still lead to the first ad click getting the conversion.

Google Analytics does the reverse, it attributes the conversion to the source that the user used just before the conversion took place, which may or may not be adwords.

Q2: I want to make a detailed report showing the client just which ecommerce transactions came from adwords, but not only that; I also want to match each single adwords conversion to the specific product that was purchased on site. So far, I can locate the conversions in Analytics (even though again, there is a mismatch in the number of conversions reported as google/cpc vs the actual conversions in adwords) but all I can see is the transaction IDs. Does adword pass along to Analytics a transaction ID for each conversion? How could I link the specific conversions in Analytics and adwords?

A: As I've mentioned above, Adwords and GA numbers will never match. However, if your accounts are linked, and you have set Autotagging on then you should be able to map the Ecomm numbers with Adwords campaigns / keywords. If you have manual tagging on then as long as your tagging is correct, you should be able to map the numbers.

In the ecommerce section, please go to product performance, set your secondary dimension to Adwords campaigns, you should be able to see details about your campaigns and the products that got sold as a result. There are many custom reports that you can create that should help you map these as well. For the same, please click on customization and then create a new report:

Try imagining what your report would look like in terms of rows and columns in your mind and then try adding dimensions for the rows and metrics for the columns you've identified.

Please feel free to reach out with more questions, might need some more data, but would be more than glad to help out.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Nikhil this is awesome - thanks for your time! Will do as you instruct and come back with more info Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No worries Smiley Happy Hope you are able to get all the data that you need.