AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Linking Google AdWords and Google Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have connected my AdWord account with the Google analytic account, but I am not able to see the particular city metric in the analytic under Paid ad campaign setting so that I can view the city of users who has clicked on my ad. However, I am able to see the only particular country under location section of the AdWord. So please let me know how I can view the particular city of a user.

Hoping for the best reply.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Om T
March 2016

Re: Linking Google AdWords and Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

campaign-by-city.pngcampaign-by-city-2.png

In the second image, instead of Exclude any (not set) campaign, where you'll see cities for all AdWords campaigns, you can choose Include and enter the name of your campaign. Then you'll only see the campaign you're interested in.

Let me know if you can manage it now.

P.S. I've just realized that in order to have the filtering options appear you should click the "advanced" link in the first image, next to the search field.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello.

You'll have to do it the other way around.

Step 1: Audience - Geo - Location.
Step 2: Change Primary Dimension (link under the map) from Country to City
Step 3: Add the Secondary Dimension you want (Campaign, Ad Group, Keyword, etc.)
Step 4: Use a filter that excludes (not set) for the secondary dimension of your choice.

Indeed, if you start with the AdWords section and try to add the city as the Secondary Dimension it doesn't work.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Aswiser,
Thank you for kind reply. But honestly, I am not able to see the given path as you suggested above. What I am following is listed below.

1) I selected the particular campaign to which I want to see the user's city location.
2) Then I click at audience after that I am getting the option regarding the re marketing list.

I shall be thank you to you if you share the image that show how I can follow your path.

Kind Regard
Om

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Om.

I'll try to share an image in a minute, for the moment I cannot do it. What I was trying to say is that you need to first select the city and then the campaign, not the other way around, because this is not possible. So you start with the Audience link on the left and then follow my steps.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Om T
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

campaign-by-city.pngcampaign-by-city-2.png

In the second image, instead of Exclude any (not set) campaign, where you'll see cities for all AdWords campaigns, you can choose Include and enter the name of your campaign. Then you'll only see the campaign you're interested in.

Let me know if you can manage it now.

P.S. I've just realized that in order to have the filtering options appear you should click the "advanced" link in the first image, next to the search field.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Calin, sorry to say but I am not getting any option to select the city under Audience section. It is totally out of mind.
It would be fine if you share the image with me.

Thank you.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

adword and analytics.png

Thank you for sharing the image. But in my shared image you can see that I am not getting any option to exclude the campaign.  Anyway thank you for posting.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello, Om.

You missed the second step, where you had to click the button under City and choose Campaign as a secondary dimension.

campaign-by-city-3.png

Only then can you filter by campaign. As long as campaign is not used as a dimension (neither first nor second), you cannot filter by it. Give it another go and let me know if it works, please.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I got the point but sorry to say that I am not able to see any data in the specific date range. I have received the131 clicks in AdWords but I am not able to see them in google analytic after following all above steps.

Please see the image data of AdWord.

my data.png

I am going to off from this situation  now.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Om, do you see any AdWords data in Analytics at all? Are the two accounts, Analytics and AdWords, linked?

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en

Did you enable auto-tagging in your AdWords account?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en

If you did not enable auto-tagging, did you manually tag your ad URLs with campaign tags?

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863

In order to see AdWords traffic in Analytics, the latter needs to know that a click comes from AdWords. The only way for Analytics to realize it's receiving AdWords traffic is to
a) look for a gclid parameter on the landing page and then try to retrieve AdWords-data based on that gclid IF it is correctly linked to an AdWords account
or
b) check for manual tags in the URLs and retrieve campaign data from there.