AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Linking 2 Adwords accounts to Analytics with multiple profiles.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm  having issues setting up the connection between the Adwords & Analytics. Normally this is a straightforward process for me. But I've had difficulty in the past where client had more than one Adwords account.

I can confirm the following:

*I definately have API access to both Adwords accounts than want to connect to Analytics
*I have set auto-tagging on both Adwords accounts
*I definately have Administrator access to both Analytics profiles in question
*Adwords & Analytics accounts have at least one identical Admins on each account.

Situation:
*Accounts are about 4-5 months old, two Adwords accounts for different divisions of the corporations. One from USA, one from Europe. Billing address is different on Adwords. Trying to connect both Adwords accounts to a single Analytics Account (multiple profiles).

Problem: I get to step 5 of http://goo.gl/R911L (on the text instructions called "Link you Goole analytics..."). I do not see the data sources button or any any buttons referring to Adwords linking.

Another issue: I have tried to get client to perform the connection himself, thinking that he may have be able to as he is an Admin (not just API access) to the Adwords. But to no avail- screenshot is from his view not mine (although mine is similar).

Any ideas why this is happening?

Screen Shot.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Linking 2 Adwords accounts to Analytics with multiple profiles.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I have experienced this issue from time to time as well, and I do think that you need to activate AdWords auto-tracking (and then wait a while) before the Data Sources tab shows up.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks or the reply David

ANy idea what sort of timescale we're talking about? I'm guessing Adwords needs to get a confirmed click referall from Adwords to Analytics before a link can be made. A gclick refer id is a good way to ascertain that relationship. But it's been around 24 hours since we've had the glick ID assigned and still no luck.

I went through a bit of a  runaround - looking up archived posts. Ran into some google help files that talked about setting "data sharing" to enable in analytics to allow it to share data with other Google products. This was of course outdated as by default Google products are now set to share data with each other.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
No idea of time-scale, but 24 hours sound like enough.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine,

Linking AdWords to Analytics is strictly on a one-to-one relationship. You can not link two AdWords accounts tot he same Analytics account.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Unless things changed recently I need to disagree with you on that one Pete

http://analytics.blogspot.se/2011/08/linking-all-of-your-adwords-accounts-to.html

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete, are you 100% sure?

To clarify, I'm talking about linking each Adwords account to different Analytics Profiles. Surely profiles will be treated as unrelated entities?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Another thing

Person X is sole Admin of Adwords account 1

Person Y is sole Admin of Adwords account 2.

Person X and Person Y are both Admins (along with others) in Analytics account.

Should Adwords account 1 & 2 both have person X & person Y in them in order to allow for the link to happen?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

lastly, 

Adwords account 1, lands traffic to www.ecommerce.companysite.com

Adwords account 2 lands traffic to www.companysite.com

The subdomain is pretty much an entirely different company division and is set up correct in analytics to treat these as different websites.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

hi morecaffeine, I believe the linking is at the Account, not profile level.  This shouldn't be an issue as you could just link both AdWords accounts to the single Analytics account then separate the data within via filters.  When you say you don't see 'Data Sources' what do you see for tabs there?  Users, Filters, etc?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits