AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Limiting Remarketing List Geographically with AdWords Tag

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking to advertise to users of a specific community that frequent a specific website. The Admin of that website does not want me seeing his Analytics data and will therefore not allow me Analytics Remarkting Lists.

He will however let me put a tag from AdWords on to track the users. The problem is the website is popular worldwide and I want to target only people in the UK. Now when reading this post here, https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Remarketing/m-p/194152/highlight/tr... Moshe seemed to be saying that if you dont limit the location at the time of collection to the list, you cant filter them out later based on location and whoever is in the list will be targeted regardless his/her location. (This does seem to me unintuitive, why cant we limit the list further?)

What options do I have?

One that spring to mind is to limit the websites my ads will be on to be .co.uk domains. That should ensure me mostly UK traffic.

Any ideas anyone?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Limiting Remarketing List Geographically with AdWords Tag

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Zevi S ;

To clarify; 

In Adwords:

Once you set a Remarketing campaign, the users who are assigned a cookie are  naturally those from the Geo targeted area. (Only they will get to see the ads, visit the site and will be assigned a cookie, and will be added to the list))

But in addition, the re-marketing cookie will also be assigned to any user visiting from organic search - regardless of the user location. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct me if I am wrong but it isnt possible to Geo Target when using the AdWords tag remarketing instead of Analytics?

Which means that worldwide people will all join the list regardless of Source / Medium.

But is there no way to only show my ads to a subset of that list, say the ones currently in the UK?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

>>"Which means that worldwide people will all join the list regardless of Source / Medium." - only if visiting the site after searching on Google. (i.e traffic  from organic search.)

Users added to the list from Adwords, are added to the list after clicking on the ad. If the ad is shown to users in the UK, (because the AW campaign targets the UK) only users from the UK will be added to the list.

As for your last question : I don't think so. Once a user is on the list he gets to see the ad for the  cookie duration set 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not sure why you are bringing up the Source of the traffic, perhaps I am not being clear.

Imagine I decide that I want to target the Ynet English News website and they let me insert my AdWords Remarketing tag on their website. How they get their traffic isn't important to me, its the audience who frequent the website I am interested in. I create my list from those people.

But I only want to remarket to the Ynet visitors who will be based in England at the time of my Campaign as only those people will be interested in my product.

Are you saying this is impossible? Can I at lease target only .co.uk sites when using the list?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Because how you create the list affects who is on the list. The list is created by a campaign "geo targets" the UK. Obviously, all users on the list (coming from Adwords) are from the UK- and these are the users you'd like to target. - This is the method I know to target those users.
I don't think you could target users on the list who are only physically present in the UK.

And yes, if you use both placements and Remarketing (using "target and bid")  - you could show the ad to users on  the (remarketing)  list, only when they visit the sites on the placements list.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you are misunderstanding me. 'The list is created by a campaign "geo targets" the UK'. 'all users on the list (coming from Adwords) are from the UK'. 

The list has nothing to do with AdWords. Let us assume the site I want to have a tracking pixel on doesnt even have adsense on it and gets all their traffic via email campaigns and organic search. My tracking pixel creates a list even without any AdWords campaign, simply by existing on another site. 

So there is no way for me to target UK at all.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I should have added some background to my previous reply:

Adwords Remarketing is a cookie based re-targeting. 

If you were to import, somehow, the list (which is not an easy task- you'll have to ask your account manager for help)  - then all those on the list will be shown the ads of the Remareking campaign.

Furthermore, as the campaign continues, users leave the list (based on the cookie duration), and new users (who visit the site) are added to the list. Those who are added to the list from Adwords (traffic), are users from the Geo-location targeted (in the AW campaign). Those who are on the list, could be from any location, as long as the visited the site. (Otherwise, they will not be "tagged")

Now, Google when designed Adwords Remarketing it did not design it for "complex" combinations such as importing lists. It was initially designed as a feature to add users, from a Geo-location targeted,  to a list, upon visiting the site, (with the goal)  to show them a follow up campaign.

Have I better explained?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV  You have Smiley Happy but see this chat I just had with Google, it seems to say that location targeting will narrow down my list and override it which is what I want.

03:43:51 Lubna Anjum: Hi, thanks for chatting in to Google AdWords. My name is Lubna and I'm happy to help you. May I have your name please?
03:43:53 Zevi: Zevi
03:44:08 Lubna Anjum: Hi Zevi. Hope you are fine. I request you to please verify your login email address and account customer id?
03:44:17 Zevi: *******
03:44:21 Zevi: *******
03:44:34 Lubna Anjum: Thanks for the information.
03:44:39 Zevi: I have a questions
03:44:56 Zevi: If I have a remarketing list from people who reached my website from all over the world
03:45:03 Zevi: And I want to advertise to them
03:45:24 Zevi: Can I set the campaign to only advertise to people in the UK
03:45:34 Zevi: even if the list has people from outside of the UK?
03:45:41 Lubna Anjum: I see that you would like to work on remarketing campaign while setting up your preferred targeted location.
03:46:30 Lubna Anjum: Yes, you can set the location targeting people in UK even though the list may contain people outside UK
03:47:27 Lubna Anjum: I would also recommend you to go through the link here for better understand: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043
03:47:32 Lubna Anjum: Hope this helps!
03:48:02 Lubna Anjum: Please let me know if you have any doubts or questions here. I shall be happy to help you.
03:48:08 Zevi: ok, one second
03:48:23 Lubna Anjum: Sure.
03:48:42 Zevi: So imagine the following scenario.
03:49:23 Zevi: Peter has a news website that attracts people from all over the world.
03:50:16 Zevi: I ask him to let me create a list using his Analytics Remarketing or to let me put my AdWords Remarketing Tracker on his website.
03:50:40 Zevi: He lets, and a list starts to build on my own Adwords, whether its from his Analytics or from the AdWords Tag
03:50:45 Lubna Anjum: ok
03:50:55 Zevi: This list contains people from all over the world
03:51:16 Zevi: But I only want to reach the people on the list who can visit my shop in the UK.
03:51:53 Zevi: So when I launch my display advertising campaign targeting using this remarketing list, I only want it to reach people who are currently in my hometown.
03:52:18 Zevi: Can you confirm this is possible by setting the campaign location targeting settings?
03:52:47 Zevi: And that the location settings will not be overridden by the list?
03:53:23 Lubna Anjum: I understand from you that you would like to target people in your home town and you can surely do this and I will explain how you can set this up.
03:53:24 Lubna Anjum: Also, In case the chat gets disconnected or I'd need to follow up later, could you give me a phone number and email address I can reach you at?
03:53:38 Zevi: ***********
03:55:02 Lubna Anjum: Thanks for the information Smiley Happy
03:55:05 Lubna Anjum: Firstly, the remarketing list would not be impacted or overrides by the location targeting, which you select for your ad campaign.
03:55:23 Zevi: I did not understand that
03:55:25 Zevi: please rephrase
03:56:16 Lubna Anjum: The remarketing list (people from all over the world) which would create would not override your location targeting (targeted location UK).
03:56:42 Lubna Anjum: Hope this was more helpful
03:57:03 Zevi: So the location targeting would be able to filter the list to only those in the UK
03:59:34 Lubna Anjum: Secondly, to set the location targeting people only in UK (your home town), You need to select an option 'People in my targeted location' under 'advance location settings' option.
03:59:46 Lubna Anjum: Please refer to this link for more information on this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en
03:59:49 Lubna Anjum: Hope this helps!
03:59:54 Lubna Anjum: Is there anything else that I can help you with?
04:00:30 Zevi: No, this was a great help!
04:00:36 Zevi: Thank you very much.
04:01:06 Zevi: I would like a transcript of this if possible
04:01:09 Lubna Anjum: It was a pleasure chatting with you today. I would really appreciate if you can give your valuable feedback for us, coming up right away. Thanks a lot ! Have a nice day ahead Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Zevi S 

I think the Rep at Google is also confused.... Smiley Surprised 

First, my answers are  about   Adwords legacy / classic  Remarketing, Not analytics; - Analytics is a whole new ball game - you might be able to segment differently in GA - not sure, though

Second: the Rep initially said "the Remarketing list would not be impacted or overrides by the location targeting, which you select for your ad campaign". And later  said :"The re-marketing list (people from all over the world) which would create would not override your location targeting (targeted location UK) - In the latter,  I think the Rep meant: "users on the list would not override  users added to the list based on your location targeting"