AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Pages

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey All,

In the coming days, I am going to start a new Adwords Campaign. Please Advice here for this case::

My client has a domain name Like www.hisdomain.com. And he created another separate and different subdomain for his landing pages like this format : www.promo.hisdomain.net

Now

Do I have to place Google Analytics code in landing pages of that sub-domain to have good tracking and reporting overview? Or just leave them without installing Google Analytics?

Will the landing pages work well as a destination url in Adwords? 

Please help and share your experience, tips and tricks.

Looking to hear from you.

Best,

Omar

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Omar B
September 2015

Re: Landing Pages

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Omar,

You should place Google Analytics tracking on your new landing pages. You'll actually need to modify your code for cross-domain tracking (if you haven't already) since your landing pages are on a subdomain.

It isn't a problem to use a subdomain as a landing page. Whether they work or not will be a matter of usability and optimization. In other words, as long as they are high quality landing pages, they should work well and performance shouldn't be affected by whether or not they are a subdomain.

Here's more information on how to set up cross-domain tracking: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Omar B wrote:

Do I have to place Google Analytics code in landing pages of that sub-domain to have good tracking and reporting overview? Or just leave them without installing Google Analytics?

It is highly recommended that you install Analytics on subdomain too. If you do not install it you will be unable to track even in hisdomain.net the AdWords origin traffic that landed on promo domain - in other words: Your client will get a lot of traffic in hisdomain.net and will a bit harder to figure out that it is from AdWords/promo subdomain.

If you decide to install Analytics code on a subdomain, it is a bit different, see instructions here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingSite?hl=pt#domainSubDoma...

Omar B wrote:

Will the landing pages work well as a destination url in Adwords? 

yes! it will work perfectly there - no conflicts! 

you can use promo.hisdomain.net or  hisdomain.net for example as displayURL

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Amy for the prompt reply!! Sheers. Please note the first main domain is ended with .com and my client subdomain is ending with .net.

No conflict with Display and Destination URL?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey, Many thanks for the info and tips. I see you make the same ending for the domain and subdomain. I mean .net.
Please could you advice with a domain name ending with .com and a subdomain ending with .net ?

Are they treated the same way?
Your point of view please.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Omar,

That should still be fine, to use .net and .com May I ask why it is being set up that way, though?

Will your conversions occur on the .net or back on the .com? It will still work either way, it will just affect how you set up the AdWords conversion tracking (if you use it). Google Analytics will be fine as long as you set up cross-domain tracking. It will just be your (and your client's) decision as to whether they want to include both domains in the same Analytics account. If the destination URL is on .net and the conversion occurs on .com, I would highly suggest considering cross domain tracking. If the landing page and the conversion both occur on .net you could set up that site with an entirely different Analytics account and keep them separate.

Hope that helps!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
** within the display URL, you should plan to use the site where visitors will be taken to (.net)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Greetings Amy,

Sure, it was the client setup! Already have done that in that way? Now I am just taking in this time his PPC project to manage it for Arabic Campaigns. I have noticed many things wrong!! Trying to clean up.

As for this question: Will your conversions occur on the .net or back on the .com? I am planning to put in place Conversion Tracking in .com where the conversion will take place. Basically, landing pages are hosted in .net with different languages.
In other words, Display URL is hisdomain.com and Destination URL is promo.hisdomain.net

Do you have more tips, please don't hsitate to shot them. They are helpful.
Thanks for the follow up

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Makes sense - conversion tracking should work but I would run a test conversion just to be sure. Like I said, since visitors are coming in on one page and then converting on another, I would highly recommend cross-domain analytics tracking. Plus if you have any issues with AdWords conversion tracking, you could set up goals in Google Analytics and import them into AdWords as conversions in lieu of using AdWords conversion codes.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
100% agreed here. Conversion Tracking implemented, Google Analytics linked with Goals and Cross domain installed. Then, a test conversion.

Indeed great tips.

Thank you for sharing, Amy.
Regards,
Omar