AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Label dimensions for keywords, adGroups by Labels that contains specific text

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, folks

Is there a way to use label dimensions on  keywords, adgoups by Labels that contain specific text.

For example, by labels that contain "brand:" part.

Why I need it. 

I have a lot of adgroups in a form of "<brand> <color> <size> cooktop"

I've got many of them. And to be able to analyze them, I need to aggregate data for them.

For example, to see all adgroups with color "red" in one row, color "black" in second one and so on.

I can do this in dimensions tab in AdWords but there I need to manually select labels which makes the process time consuming.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Alex Volkov

I am not sure I understand correctly, but let me take a stab at it. You can add labels to objects (e.g. keywords/groups) based on specific text.

We will use ad groups as an example. Let's say you want to give all groups that contain "brand" in the name a label of "Brand".

1. Go to the group tab.

2. Filter group name that contains "brand"

3. Select all the groups (Check the box in the column name row).

4. Click the "Labels" drop down menu (right above column names)

5. Check the name next to the label name "Brand". If the label hasn't been created, then click "Create new"

The same method would apply to keywords.

To see that label's metrics in the group tab or keyword tab create a filter, choosing "filter by label" in that respective tab. If it's ongoing, make sure to save it.

To see it in the dimensions tab, choose View - Labels Keyword (or Ad group), then create the filter and remember to save it.

Also, labels are not inherited. Meaning, you have to set it at each level. A campaign label will not trickle down to the groups/keywords/ads.

Hope that helps.

David

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

When you are working on a big account where you want data for multiple categories/segment then labels are the best way to deal with. But make sure you are limited with Labels count else it will become bit difficult to remember.

Best way to get data as per labels is Dimension tab. Assign labels to Campaigns/Adgroup/Ads/Keywords and check the data in dimension tab. You can schedule this report on your mail id too. 

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Let me provide you with an example.

I have following adgroups:

bosch cooktops

bosch 30 inch cooktops

bosch 36 inch cooktops

samsung cooktops

samsung 30 inch cooktops

samsung 36 inch cooktops

viking cooktops

viking 30 inch cooktops

viking 36 inch cooktops

I want to be able to see aggregated report:

all bosch cooktops: x clicks

all samsung cooktops: y clicks

all viking cooktops: z clicks

where all bosch cooktops line aggregates data from bosch cooktops, bosch 30 inch cooktops and bosch 36 inch cooktops.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So in short you want to filter your keywords as per Brand Name and then you want to track performance of them.

Filter different same brand keywords > Assign Label

Go to dimension and check performance by keyword Label.

Let me know if still you are facing issue.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

But I have many brands. I can assign them in bulk with AdWords Editor. But in order to filter on them, I need to manually select each label in dimensions tab. It will take some time each time and also, new brands may be added or older removed. So I thought of something like this: I'dd assign labels with these names: "brand: <brand name>" (for example, "brand: samsung", "brand: viking", "brand: bosch" and so on) to adgroups and only think I need to do is to set filter on labels that begins with "brand:"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

that is also a good idea. But in dimension tab you dont have to select manually, it will automatically shows all level performance according to what navigation you have choosen: Campaign, Adgroup, Keyowrd, Ad

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

but it will show all labels applied to adgroups by default. I have other labels there. So I need to filter to show only labels staring with "brand:" but I cannot see other way but to do it manually - manually select in filter menu all labels that start with "brand:"

Re: Label dimensions for keywords, adGroups by Labels that contains specific text

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I think then this will be only option, meanwhile I will check if I can find
any.
--
Keep Optimizing
Gyan
awok.com

Re: Label dimensions for keywords, adGroups by Labels that contains specific text

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I think then this will be only option, meanwhile I will check if I can find
any.
--
Keep Optimizing
Gyan
awok.com