AdWords
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords not triggering my Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I advertise locksmithing services, and I copied the keywordsin a general services adgroup to a more specific adgroup based on location. For example, [emergency locksmith] becomes [emergency locksmith X] and [24 hour locksmith] becomes [24 hour locksmith X] where X is the location.  For obvious reasons, all of my new keywords are sying "Low Search Volume - 

• Users don't search for this term very often on Google properties, so it's not eligible to trigger your ads. If this is a term that you expect to increase in popularity soon (like a new brand name), then you don't need to do anything; the keyword will start triggering ads automatically. Otherwise, we recommend trying Keyword Planner to find different keyword ideas to increase the traffic to your campaign. Learn more about building an effective keyword list."

I would be ok with that, however when I use the ad diagnostics tool, the "Low Search Volume" brings up competing ads but not mine.  I do not know why, since when I remove the "X" (Location) from the keyword, both my ads and my competing ads show up.  However when i add the X, my competitors continue to show up.  I made a new ad targeting the location, jsut like my competitors.  I have a high quality score.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords not triggering my Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Meier K,

I suggest you use geo-targeting at the campaign level. You don't need geographic modifiers in your keywords when you run a geo-targeted campaign. Just us the keyword without location. That way you get a reasonable QS and don't get the "Low Search Volume". In the ad group within the geo-targeted campaign, include the name of the targeted city to make your ad more relevant to the user.

Set the campaign geo-targeting to include search intent. That should help.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah I have "dabbled" with geo-targeting, but how can I test the actual ad ranking if I am not in the location that I am targeting via geo-targeting. Also, although that is very helpful, it still does not explain how other people can get their ads to display when they use a keyword with low search volume while I cannot.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Meier K,

When your keyword status is “Low search Volume” it basically means No Search Volume – until there is an increase in search volume. To my knowledge, there are no exceptions, everyone who has a “low search volume” status on a keyword is experiencing the same thing as you are.

I highly recommend that you continue to explore Geo Targeting. I am certain that this would give you the success that you are looking for. Here is a link to learn more

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

As for the reason that your competitors continue to show up when you add the location to the search, there can be a number of reasons. First is, that you are getting a broad match to thier add. So when you type in - Emergency Locksmith X - your are being matched to, - Locksmiths in X -. So your long tail keyword is still in fact a low search volume, but when it is typed in, it triggers a broad match keyword.

I hope this makes sence.

Note: also when using the diagnostic tool change your location setting the the location that you are targeting.

I hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Andrew

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Meier K,

Let me try again. When you use geo-targeting and remove the geographic modifiers from the keyword, most often that will turn a "Low Search Volume" keyword into a keyword that is eligible more often. In other words, the LSV designation goes away. That's why your competitors ads show and yours don't.

Geo-targeting your campaign is much more effective than using geographic modifiers in your keywords. Google uses a number of source to derive location, including search intent, IP address, smart phone GPS signals and more. When you target using geographic modifiers you miss out on a lot of impressions and traffic, and that usualy means fewer sales.

Again, Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is still a problem for me as well. I add a keyword "dog groomer ridgeland ms" and i get the low search volume. I then add "dog groomer" to the keywords and geotarget to ridgeland, MS and it says:

Below first page bid
First page bid estimate: $3.50

I really don't think that dog groomers in a small town in Mississippi are paying that much per click. Do you?

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!