AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword recorded more Conversions than Clicks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been monitoring conversions on a new campaign fairly regularly and today I noticed a massive spike in conversions for one keyword in particular (although i noticed other keywords have been affected to a lesser degree). 

There are two problems with this:

1. AdWords reports 36 conversions when there was only a single click for the keyword.
  2. These conversions started showing up within the past few days, but they're attributed to a date nearly a month in the past

You can see the data in the image below. Google Analytics isn't showing the same conversions. The only thing I can think of is that I recently republished our site with updated goal pages. The conversion tracking snippet is only on the page once, on the conversion page, but I'm thinking maybe I triggered the goal a bunch of times while testing the site updates.

Is there any way to filter out an IP like you can in Google Analytics, or to go back and eliminate this conversion data so it doesn't skew my reporting? I suppose I could delete the keyword and add it again, but that would be less than ideal from a historical reporting standpoint.

Or maybe the cause is something else altogether?

conversions.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword recorded more Conversions than Clicks!

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi John-Paul,

Thanks for posting to the Community! This definitely seems off. It's helpful to hear the background about updating your website, though it would be strange if that were reported in AdWords since AdWords conversions are only reported when a goal is completed by someone who has clicked on your ad. When you segment this view by Conversion Name, does it show these conversions all coming from the same goal you imported from Analytics?

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

I didn't actually import the goal from analytics. I have the conversion code on the same page that I use as a destination url for my Analytics goals, so I know that that data is incorrect.

At one point, weeks ago, I had clicked on an ad and completed a conversion just to confirm conversion tracking was working. My conversion window is 90 days, so I assume that when I was testing the updated forms it was firing off a bunch of conversions. Would it attribute them back to the day when I initially clicked the ad?

At this point I think I just want to find a way to clear that data from Adwords so it's not throwing off my reporting.

Thanks!

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi John-Paul,

Thanks, that makes more sense! You're correct that the conversion will be attributed to the day when the original click on the ad happens, so it likely was your own click and then multiple "conversions" that skewed the data this way.

As for removing this inaccuracy, unfortunately there's not a way to selectively remove data from AdWords. You could indeed pause this keyword and create a new one for going forward, but then that new keyword would not carry over impression or click data it received in the past, so you would have to refer to the paused version to refer to that information.

I think the solution here depends on the date range you typically look at and report on in your account--if you only report on the last 30 days, for example, then this discrepancy will quickly be outside of your usual reporting date range, and your CPA and conversion rate will be reported "as normal." But if you need views such as "All Time" often, you'd want to consider starting with a new keyword.

Let me know if you have additional questions,
Cassie

Keyword recorded more Conversions than Clicks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you think so? I see this with some frequency. For a conversion that doesn't pull from gA and is AdWords-based (code dropped in page--not a simple "xThankYou" or destination) I see this with some frequency in larger account spending $25k+mo.

Today, for example I've three clicks that have five hard-coded conversions.

I'd always thought that gcID was just good at capturing conversions and that if, for example, someone clicked an ad and subsequently shared the URL of the path at which they ended on Slack or Skype in an office or "let's get some BI on the competition and register" kind of situation that these conversions would be valid.

I'm quite wrong, aren't I? It's just a standard Gg (what a large agency I once worked at called a "Google glitch" :0)