AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner Avg Monthly Searches

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Does anyone know why the new Keyword Planner shows a different # of monthly searches than the old Keyword Tool? I used [red shoes] as my example and set it for the entire USA and got 12,100 searches on the Planner on exact match, and 22,200 on the Keyword Tool.  I called Google and the lady I spoke to was confused as well by this.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: Keyword Planner Avg Monthly Searches

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello; 

Here is the reason:

• Local monthly searches and global monthly searches: These two columns have been replaced by the "Average monthly searches" column, simplifying the search volume data you can get. The average monthly search volume is specific to your targeting settings, and you can get data for an entire country or individual cities and regions within a country. Note that you can still get global monthly search data by targeting all locations.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello MosheTLV and JoyHoawkins

I see the same numbers and differences when you set the use The Keyword Tool and Keyword Planner.
And in both tools I did set the targeting to US and Englis for the exact search [red shoes].

keyword-tool-red-shoes.jpg

keyword-planner-google-red-shoes.jpg

keyword-planner-partners-red-shoes.jpg

Keyword Tool : 22.200
Planner Google : 12.100
Planner Google and search partners : 33.100

1. In the Keyword Planner you have to chose between Google or Google and search partners

2.  In the keyword tool you standard target Desktop and laptop devices.
You have some other choices:
All mobile devices
Wab devices
mobile devices with full internet

3. I did read/hear that in the Keyword Planner the search is based on targeting All devices =
desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and mobile phones
So I think that this explains the differences between these numbers.

Keyword Tool : 22.200  => devices Desktop and laptop + google search and search partners
Keyword Planner : 12.100 => all devices  + google search
Keyword : 33.100 => all devices  + google search + google search partners

Read more :
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229?hl=en

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're right. That help article states "In general, you'll notice that the average search volume data is higher in Keyword Planner as compared to the exact match search volume data you got with Keyword Tool. That's because we'll show you the average number of searches for a keyword idea on all devices (desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and mobile phones)" So I guess that explains it!

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm confused as to how that "solved it." The numbers presented by the OP show that Keyword Planner has lower numbers than the Keyword Tool. The explanation you quote,

"In general, you'll notice that the average search volume data is higher in Keyword Planner as compared to the exact match search volume data you got with Keyword Tool."

says the opposite.

We are also seeing significantly lower numbers with the new planner and are trying to sort the issue. So far I am still lost.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also, as I follow up i adjusted the targets to include "Google and search partners" and got the same results as when it was set to "Google."

We are also seeing that the numbers are the same even when using the punctuation to create broad, exact, or phrase matches. Anyone else seeing that as well?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Sharon,

I can't access the old Keyword Tool anymore so I can't compare anything but the main differences between the 2 is the old Keywords tool defaulted to broad match, the new one ONLY shows the impressions for exact (even if you change the match type). Also, the old keyword tool defaulted to the USA, the new one allows you to select the area you want. The old tool also just covered desktop searches by default like mentioned above.

The response I got from my call to Google was:

The Keyword Tool is being removed soon and the Keyword Planner is the latest tool for estimates. I can't explain the data discrepancy but due to the fact that one tool is going to be obsolete you should use the data coming from the Keyword Planner. The Keyword Tool is not yet deprecated, so if you do choose to use this data over the Planner it's really up to you, but for either tool the data provided is merely an estimate and should not taken at face value. Every advertiser will experience different results with different keywords; the tools can only provide rough estimates on a broad scale. The only way to get true, personalized data is by advertising and reflecting on the results through CTR and other metrics.

Owner of Sterling Sky

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello JoyHwkins, 

The old keyword Tool is and was NOT defaulted for the USA.

For me it is defaulted to the Netherlands.

Edit : And make the country default  that you want
And you can chose any country you want what is within the Adwords system.

The data discrepancy is because it is targeting ALL devices.

Every advertiser will experience different results --> With the numbers I did the test they were exact the same.
And I really think I am located in a total diffident country.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The impression numbers don't change if you change the match type. It only
changes the recommended budget on the right.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Sorry, you are right. I was assuming the poster was in the USA.

Owner of Sterling Sky