AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Match Type Off in Reporting

iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I ran a keyword report using the search term match type segment to get a granular view.

I'm getting weird data in my report. For example, I bid on a "keyword" and that match type appears as phrase. Then that same "keyword" also appears as exact but I'm not bidding on the exact match nor is that line item using the proper brackets around the keyword.

Am I missing something here? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Match Type Off in Reporting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Do you have both the exact and phrase match of the same keyword?

i.e. "green socks" and [green socks]

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kim,

Initially I thought I did but I checked and that's not the case. This strange data only appears once I apply the segment to the report and generate it. Otherwise the interface only shows the phrase match type of the keyword. On the other hand, reporting shows both phrase and exact match types, both of which have impressions.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Iad,

FYI: The search term match type might not be the same as the match type for the keyword that triggered the ads. Much rather it reflects how closely the search terms that triggered your ads on Google are related to the actual keywords in your account.

You are advised to read very thoroughly the help file linked-to below. Take care, it's pretty advanced .... Robot LOL

* Search terms report

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

Remember to specifically expand the Understanding the "Match type" column in your search terms report section on the page. I suggest you please update this thread if you have further queries.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yeah Google base what your advert shows for on terms that are as close to the exact match as possible. The phrase match has picked up an exact match as it is close (well pretty much the same). I would put the exact match in.

Better yet create two seperate ad groups one for phrase one for exact and put the term as an exact negative in the phrase ad group then you know exact is exact and phrase will only show for the other variations.

If you didn't to test this or want that term to show as exact at all, put it in as a exact negative.

Job done.

iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the information.

iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the info Lakatos but don't care for the sacarism.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

I'm certain you misinterpreted Lakatos intentions in his reply.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/communication/valerie.htm

"Sarcasm is a large component of social interaction and conversation.  To demonstrate a sense of humor, people frequently use sarcasm as a means of “breaking the ice” during initial encounters with others." - P. Valerie Dauphin

If you misunderstood it, Iad, I'd rather apologize than dwell on it.

iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
iad
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my end Lakatos.