AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Insertion in Destination URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I cannot for the life of me get keyword insertion in my destination URLs to work. I want to have the keyword appear in the destination URL. I've tried turning off autotagging, and have tried all of the following as destination URLs:

www.myhomepage.com/?keyword={keyword}
www.myhomepage.com/?keyword={keyword:defaulttext}
www.myhomepage.com/index.php?keyword={keyword}
www.myhomepage.com/index.php?keyword={keyword:defaulttext}

In each case, my ad has been approved, and then I've clicked on it myself. In each case, clicking on the ad takes me to www.myhomepage.com. Any parameters are obliterated. Weirdly, "index.php" is also obliterated.

I tried emailing AdWords support and they didn't reply. I tried calling them, but the person I spoke to had very limited technical knowledge and wasn't any help.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong/or if it's possible to do what I want?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Insertion in Destination URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew122341,

Sounds to me like you have a URL re-write rule on your site that is losing the query string parameters.

These are correct:

www.myhomepage.com/?keyword={keyword}

www.myhomepage.com/index.php?keyword={keyword}

These are not:

www.myhomepage.com/?keyword={keyword:defaulttext}

www.myhomepage.com/index.php?keyword={keyword:defaulttext}

What's your server/platform? I'm betting you're running Apache. The re-write rules will be in the .htaccess file in the root directory. If you don't know how to do this, get some help. Doing it wrong could break the web site. I can't help you with that part as I don't run Apache here.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Keyword Insertion in Destination URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Pete.

I figured out that AdWords simply isn't using the new destination URL I entered. The original URL was www.myhomepage.com. When I entered the new destination URL (www.myhomepage.com/index.php?keyword={keyword}), the ad was accepted and approved, and seemed to be running, but the ad with the old destination URL was still being shown. 

Is this normal? Does it take a few hours for a new ad to start being shown, even after it has been approved?

Also, do you know if I need to deactivate auto-tagging to use "keyword={keyword}", or can I leave auto-tagging on?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew