AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword CTR vs. Ads CTR: how are they interconnected?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

trying to get this straight:

A) Keyword CTR:
in human language: "at what rate have the ads -  triggered by this keyword - been clicked?"

does that mean:

1) that the keyword CTR is an expression of how relevant the keyword is to the ads displayed? (i.e close correlation between Keyword and Ad-Text = higher relevancy = higher keyword CTR)

B) Ad-CTR:

in human language: "at what rate has this ad been clicked?"

so a bad Ad-CTR could mean two things:

1) Ad-Text is bad and needs to be more enticing.

or (... and here i need your help.)

2) even the best Ad-Text in the world can not save an Ads-CTR if the underlying keywords are a mis-match (poorly chosen for the adgroup and not relevant to the ad-text)?

furthermore: questions to Quality-Score

1) I was informed, that the Quality score i am presented with for each keyword does not only reflect the keywords performance in my account, but accross all google searches globally. ? so i am using a keyword that is - under all "best practice" scenarios - perfect for my adgroup, but i am still punished for all the other accounts in the world, that mis-used and mis-matched this keyword in their adgroups, thus loweing the QS of that keyword in googles global memory?

thanks everyone for helping me get a grip on all of this.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floshkit
September 2015

Re: Keyword CTR vs. Ads CTR: how are they interconnected?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello floshkit,

It sounds like you have a great understanding of what you've discussed.

A) Keyword CTR:
in human language: "at what rate have the ads -  triggered by this keyword - been clicked?"

This is spot on. The rate you mention is clicks divided by impressions (number of times your ad has been shown), just to complete your sentence.

does that mean:

1) that the keyword CTR is an expression of how relevant the keyword is to the ads displayed? (i.e close correlation between Keyword and Ad-Text = higher relevancy = higher keyword CTR)

In theory this is correct, it's logical that an ad relevant to someone's search is more likely going to encourage them to click on that particular ad.

B) Ad-CTR:

in human language: "at what rate has this ad been clicked?"

Exacly, again remember what the rate actually is though.

so a bad Ad-CTR could mean two things:

1) Ad-Text is bad and needs to be more enticing.

I'm glad you selected the word "bad", an ad text could repeat a relevant keyword over and over for example but it's not necessarily going to be enticing as you stated.

or (... and here i need your help.)

2) even the best Ad-Text in the world can not save an Ads-CTR if the underlying keywords are a mis-match (poorly chosen for the adgroup and not relevant to the ad-text)?

This is right but it's easy enough to create a relevant keyword list associated to an ad.

furthermore: questions to Quality-Score

1) I was informed, that the Quality score i am presented with for each keyword does not only reflect the keywords performance in my account, but accross all google searches globally. ? so i am using a keyword that is - under all "best practice" scenarios - perfect for my adgroup, but i am still punished for all the other accounts in the world, that mis-used and mis-matched this keyword in their adgroups, thus loweing the QS of that keyword in googles global memory?

Your informant is right, this is why sometimes you can have a perfectly constructed account but the QS across keywords are still significantly low. It's down to you to outperform the industry average, start acquiring higher quality scores and then start reaping the benefits for doing so.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
super detailed and super helpful, thank you.ScottyD, greetings from snowed in german mountain-village.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No problem floshkit, I'm happy to help Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

The importance of the global QS diminishes as you generate more traffic - Google uses this as a starting point - oy uare able to improve (and worsen) your QS with time.

There are a number of factors that impact. The CTR is one, but there are other factors related to the ad copy and the landing page... the central theme is "relevance" - the more relñevant the keyword is to the ad and the landing page the better. Things like bounce rate also contribute (or so I am led to believe) clearly if visitrs get to your page and then bounce off the page wasn't relevant to their search inquiry.

So it's sometimes about striking a balance. If you have keywords that are more likely to attract "unwanted visitors" you need to try and weed them out at the ad level... here's an example:

I have a client that sells bicycles.... racing bikes, road bikes - these are a couple of their keywords. Of course, people searching for these keywords could well be searchnig for motorcycles... and I have sewries of negative keywords in place for this.

But, even so, some people will just search for road bike. So I am very clear in the ad that this is for bicycles. In this way I make sure that I minimize the number of motorcycle visitors. Of course, I am reducing my CTR by doing this - but I'm also not paying for a click that's going to bounce as soon as they see the page is not what they were looking for.

It's a balancing act and you try to reduce the wastage, but wastage there will be...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I know that this is an old thread, but I'm also having a hard time understanding the difference between keyword CTR and Ad CTR. Logically, you would think that if keyword CTR is a measure of the number of times an Ad triggered by a keyword is clicked, keyword and ad CTR should always be the same.

Here's what I've come with. Keyword CTR is a prediction of the likelihood that someone will click on an ad triggered by the keyword. Ad CTR is the actual number of times someone clicks on the ad triggered by a keyword. That's why there's a disconnect between keyword CTR and ad CTR. If your keyword has a low CTR, consider removing it. If an ad using a keyword with good CTR has a low CTR, rewrite the ad because even though it's using a good keyword that's triggering the ad a lot, the ad isn't compelling enough to get people to click on it.

Does that make sense? So, what I'm doing is looking at my keywords first. If I have a keyword with high CTR but the ad using that keyword has low CTR, I'll modify the ad or write a new one using the same keyword. If the keyword has low CTR, I'll get rid of it and rewrite any ads that use it, inserting a new, better performing keyword.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.