AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword CTR, Keyword Details CTR differs greatly why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello and thank you for taking your time.

Keyword: country kitchen, setting: "broad match" delivers CTR of 0,89%

keyword: countrykitchen delivers CTR of 9,09%

Trying to find out why those two differ so greatly i checked the keyword details.

Keyword Details for: country kitchen:

all of the search querries shown in Keyword details have a CTR > 1%

how can the CTR for the keyword (in the standard keyword list) be <1% when all search querries it got triggered by actually have a CTR >1%

wow.

looking forward to your insights/suggestions

thank you again for your time,

sunny greetings from bavaria

florian

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floshkit
September 2015

Re: Keyword CTR, Keyword Details CTR differs greatly why?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi florian,

"Keyword: country kitchen, setting: "broad match" delivers CTR of 0,89%

keyword: countrykitchen delivers CTR of 9,09%"

I would say it is because of the broad match setting for "country kitchen". There will be many synonyms in Google database both  for country and for kitchen. Those synonyms and close variations are not performing well for you.

This is the interesting part. Google will have not synonyms or close variations for countrykitchen, becuase it's not really a word. Google also ignores spaces and other non-alphanumeric characters in the search query. The means the user's search query of "country kitchen" will match "countrykitchen" in your keyword list, but it won't match any of the synonyms. In effect, countrykitchen is acting more like a phrase match than broad match.

What's it really mean? To me, it means "country kitchen" as broad match is really way too broad. You might try it as BMM instead (+country +kitchen).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello florian,

That's probably because you are only looking at the search terms which Google is showing you. If you look at all the details you will see something like Other Search Terms field as well. Hence when you combine the report for search queries tracked by Google and other terms, the combined CTR would be less. That's my understanding.

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708/?ctx=tltp

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

thank you.

those numbers taken into consideration add up.

sad that there is no detailed information on those keywords since its exactly those keywords (CTR 0.29%) that are draggin my overall CTR down.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

HIya,

Would it be worth trying to add the keywords that have strong CTR in the adgroup (as phrase) and google might start displaying other search queries on the broad KW...

Cheers

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floshkit
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi florian,

"Keyword: country kitchen, setting: "broad match" delivers CTR of 0,89%

keyword: countrykitchen delivers CTR of 9,09%"

I would say it is because of the broad match setting for "country kitchen". There will be many synonyms in Google database both  for country and for kitchen. Those synonyms and close variations are not performing well for you.

This is the interesting part. Google will have not synonyms or close variations for countrykitchen, becuase it's not really a word. Google also ignores spaces and other non-alphanumeric characters in the search query. The means the user's search query of "country kitchen" will match "countrykitchen" in your keyword list, but it won't match any of the synonyms. In effect, countrykitchen is acting more like a phrase match than broad match.

What's it really mean? To me, it means "country kitchen" as broad match is really way too broad. You might try it as BMM instead (+country +kitchen).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
thanks so much. top answer. really greatfull for all the input you are willing to give to
an uneducated newby.