AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with average ad position

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Could you please explain how the Top vs Other ad position works?

Let´s say the SERP has 3 ads on the top and 3 on the bottom and my ad is the second on top. The average position will show as Top 2?

What if my ad is the second on the bottom? Will it show as Other 2 or Other 5?

What about if there are no ads on the Top of the SERP, there are only three ads at the bottom and my ad is the second. Will it show as Other 2?

Appreciate your help as I am having an average positions of 5 for Other and can not make sense of it.

Thanks,

Luis Castaneda

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luis M C
June 2016

Re: Issue with average ad position

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Luis,

My understanding is this. When looking at avg ad position - that metric is the average position of all of your impressions. The first ad displayed is position 1, regardless of where on the page, above or below the organic results.

The Top vs Other is simply above or below the organic results.

See Top VS Other here:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454072

So in your example, Yes, the first ad, in position 2 of 6 will be labeled with an avg position of 2 and will also show up as Top in the Top vs Other report.

The second ad will have a position of 5 out of 6 and will be labeled with an avg position of 5 and will show up in the other report.

I looked at some of my data to confirm this. We have some advertisers that do not fall below position 2 ever - they average closer to 1.4 or above. These ads also have 'Other:' listings but still maintain that 1.5+ average position. So, in these few cases, no ads are displayed above the organic results but at the bottom of the page, we're the first or second ad.

This is one of the areas that I feel like the Help Center could use some updating to reflect the new SERP layout. It could simply be top vs bottom now.  

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luis M C
June 2016

Re: Issue with average ad position

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Luis,

My understanding is this. When looking at avg ad position - that metric is the average position of all of your impressions. The first ad displayed is position 1, regardless of where on the page, above or below the organic results.

The Top vs Other is simply above or below the organic results.

See Top VS Other here:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454072

So in your example, Yes, the first ad, in position 2 of 6 will be labeled with an avg position of 2 and will also show up as Top in the Top vs Other report.

The second ad will have a position of 5 out of 6 and will be labeled with an avg position of 5 and will show up in the other report.

I looked at some of my data to confirm this. We have some advertisers that do not fall below position 2 ever - they average closer to 1.4 or above. These ads also have 'Other:' listings but still maintain that 1.5+ average position. So, in these few cases, no ads are displayed above the organic results but at the bottom of the page, we're the first or second ad.

This is one of the areas that I feel like the Help Center could use some updating to reflect the new SERP layout. It could simply be top vs bottom now.  

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’