AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with average ad position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear AdWords-Team,

can you please check if there is a bug in the average position display or calculation? I uploaded a new KW yesterday, searched for it myself and clicked on it.

Today, the AdWords interface shows me 1 impression, 1 click, avg position 3. Today, the ad shows up on position 2 (using the preview tool). But the click yesterday happened on position 5 or 6, I'm 100% sure of that. (Maybe due to my browsing history?)

Is this a known issue? Does this happen frequently?

It seems that other users experience similar issues, e.g.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/is-average-position-accurate

Thanks,
Andreas

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Issue with average ad position

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andreas,
I believe this has to do with the fact that various metrics in AdWords arrive and are displayed at different times. So at 1am your impressions will update, at 3am the conversions, at 5am your average position. This can vary by up for 48 hours so when you're looking at the most recent data, there's always going to be discrepancies. Google warns about this at the bottom of every page in AdWords where any metrics are shown.

We rely heavily on average position for our automated bidding strategies and I can tell you that everything looks OK on this end from our POV.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Issue with average ad position

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andreas,
I believe this has to do with the fact that various metrics in AdWords arrive and are displayed at different times. So at 1am your impressions will update, at 3am the conversions, at 5am your average position. This can vary by up for 48 hours so when you're looking at the most recent data, there's always going to be discrepancies. Google warns about this at the bottom of every page in AdWords where any metrics are shown.

We rely heavily on average position for our automated bidding strategies and I can tell you that everything looks OK on this end from our POV.