AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is there any way to see invalid clicks actual search term?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I can see in my Adwords account that I have recieved 18 invalid clicks. Is there any way to see the actual search term behind that invalid clicks?

I have noticed that some of my visits from Google/cpc land on some landing pages that are not even set as destination URL's in Adwords Ads and not even in site extension.

Then how visitors land on those pages from Google/cpc? Is this a part of invalid clicks too?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nouman T
September 2015

Re: Is there any way to see invalid clicks actual search term?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nouman,
Are these perhaps old pages that you used to drive traffic to? If you used to drive traffic to these pages via AdWords, then it's possible that searchers clicked on your Ads before and then bookmarked your links, that included the GA tracking, and they're still coming to your site via those links.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nouman,

I hope this link helps you find answer to your query.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-approvals-and-advertising/Demystifying-Invalid-Clicks-in-...

I hope this helps.

Kapil M

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nouman,
To add to Kapil's answer - no, you cannot see the actual search term behind each invalid click.

However, a bigger thing for you to be concerned about, imo, is that some of your AdWords visits are going to Landing Pages that are not in your Account. No, this is not a part of invalid clicks. AdWords clicks can only go to pages that you specificy. Once a user clicks on your AdWords and visits your Landing Page, they can then go to any page on your site, but they should never land on a page that you didn't specify.

Do you use AdWords Editor? If not, I suggest you download it. After you have your Account downloaded in AdWords Editor export your entire Account and search for those Landing Pages and see if they're anywhere in your Account. My guess is that they're hiding somewhere in maybe an old Ad or in a Keyword Destination URL.
https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your detailed answer. I have check all of my adword Ads destination url's and not able to find those landing pages. Also they are not even in sitelinks as well; Then how a user with Google/cpc medium can land on those pages. I am totally confused

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nouman,
Is it possible that another advertiser, such as an affiliate, is driving traffic to your site?

Also, how are you so sure that your AdWords Ads are driving to landing pages that you didn't select? I'm guessing you're using Google Analytics, but it might be good to hear what exact report you're looking at to diagnose.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes your guess is right I am using Google Analytics. I checked "Matched Search Queries" report and then select landing pages as seconder y dimension to see where those visits actually land and I noticed some pages that are not even set in Adwords.

Do you have any idea of how this happen? Is analytics is reporting wrong? (because I now Analytics and Adwords data don't match because of visits and clicks metrics.) Is this also a part of that?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nouman T
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nouman,
Are these perhaps old pages that you used to drive traffic to? If you used to drive traffic to these pages via AdWords, then it's possible that searchers clicked on your Ads before and then bookmarked your links, that included the GA tracking, and they're still coming to your site via those links.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,
We have never run ads for those pages. It's a new website and we just launched it a month ago and started a new Adwords campaign and Analytics was also installed on that time. So Analytics is not having any old data with in it.

Is there any way too see which ads are served against search queries in Google Adwords?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nouman,
You may consider posting your question on the GA Community -
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

As everything I've posted usually covers issues like this. Are you using any PLAs? Also, try segmenting your GA Account to only show Paid Search visits. Not sure what exact report you're looking at, but you might see this because users who've clicked on your Paid Search Ads are then coming back to your site via a different Landing Page. Is it a lot of traffic?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,
I found the solution to this; all of those visitors are returning visits and I think they are coming from direct source or via a bookmark so they are not overriding the previous Adwords source.
Thanks for helping out you were right that “searchers clicked on your Ads before and then bookmarked your links, that included the GA tracking, and they're still coming to your site via those links.”