AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is there any report to show exactly what variant trigger keyword?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Let's say I have the keyword [Brown Widgets].  When I look at the search terms that triggered it, it shows Brown Widgets(exact match), of course, with a CTR of 2%.  Then, it shows Brown Widgets(close variant), but the CTR is only .35%.   I'm getting almost equal impressions.  Is there any way to figure out what exactly is triggering the keyword?  That's a big difference, it can't just be misspellings.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is there any report to show exactly what variant trigger keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi  Tommy D

"At the back" a pre auction is run to match the search query with a keyword  or its variant. The one which is matched (and therefore will trigger the ad,  if the ad wins a slot in the auction) is the one with the highest ad-rank, (or if the same ad-rank the one with the more restrictive match type). So it,  once, could be the keyword itself or in another auction its close variants.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I pretty much understand that, MosheTLV. I'm trying to figure out if there is any place to see what close variant applied. If someone typed "Brwn Widget", I'd like to know. Just trying to see what they used for the close variant.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

ohhhh.... I see your point,,,

Google does not disclose the close variant which triggered the ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy D,

is this not what you are looking for:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2684537?hl=en

If the ad was clicked (or generated a lot of traffic over the period) you will be able to see the users search query (what they actually types that triggered your ad).

More info on the SQR here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

Good luck

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Sorry, Clynton. That's doesn't do it. That's what I'm using now which tells me the search term was triggered. There are two rows. One says, "Brown Widgets". That's for people who have actually typed "Brown Widgets". The other says "Brown Widgets(close variant)" That's for everyone who typed "Brown Wigets" "Brwn Widgets" and who knows what else. <----I'm the who that wants to know what else.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just feel with such a huge disparity in the CTR, something has to be triggering the keyword that isn't really just a misspelling.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

just a note that close variants are not just misspellings --
close variants also includes singular and plural forms,
acronyms, stemming, and abbreviations.

generally, mobile-device traffic
may increase close variants --
especially for abbreviations.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy D,

I am somewhat confused as to how you are not seeing the actual search query. Have you added the keyword column? I have attached a screen shot here of one of my accounts. Here you can clearly see why it is considered a close variant.

Close variant.PNG

You can clearly see that the keyword that was triggered in line one is "automatic garage doors" and this has been triggered by the search query of "automate garage doors", this match is considered an exact match close variant. The next 2 lines were simply plurals.

As can be seen from the screenshot, the report I linked above does show you the exact search query that triggered your ad, and it is easy to identify how it is a close variant in comparison to the keyword.

The only thing that I can think of in your case is that you have not added the keyword column. If so, simply edit your columns to add the keyword column and the report will tell you exactly what keyword was triggered by what search query.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Clynton;

This is the point which also confused me, initially. Tommy D is looking for the  close variant version of the  KW  which was matched to the search query, 

"Automatic garage  doors" is the keyword  on your list - not its closed variant.