AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a report with glcid and cost data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'd like to import my Adwords cost data to Omniture's Site Catalyst. I can easily catch the "gclid=CK_6m5SA4a4CFedZmAodvUjBYg" string, but neither in the Adwords reports or the Adwords API can I seem to find a report with the glcid and cost data.

Where should I look to be able to extract it?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is there a report with glcid and cost data?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI T-Anderson,

I don't know that you can interpret the gclid string, although I could be wrong about that. I suggest you look at manual tagging options and how to make the work with Omniture. But that's about all I can tell you. A search on thier site turned up nothing about AdWords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was not aiming to interpret the gclid string, merely to use it to tie Adwords costs to traffic values in Site Catalyst. I was hoping to avoid manual tagging by using identifiers from AdWords to attribute the data. I've understood that glcid is a very complex beast and that it is not useful for my purpose.

Still it baffles me that there does not seem to be a more robust integration between Site Catalyst and Adwords. We can't be the only company running that setup Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Hello.   gclid is used as a click identifier, and then Go...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello.

gclid is used as a click identifier, and then Google Analytics can pick up useful data by sharing data with Google AdWords. Of course, this works because they're both Google Products. SiteCatalyst is, obviously, an Adobe products.

It's pretty easy to understand why Google would not allow external, non-Google applications to access cost data via the gclid paratemer alone.

However, I believe that by tagging your campaigns accordingly (with tags that SC understands), and then by retrieving cost-related data via the AdWords API (paid service), you could tie the two data sources.

It won't be free, and it'll never be the same level of integration, but it will be something.

You could, of course, use Google Analytics in parallel with SC, as it's free. If not for anything else, at least for AdWords-related data, which you can subsequently export via its API.

And, if I remember correctly, you can push data into Catalyst's database, unlike GA's. So once you have it in Analytics, pick it up from there and place it in SC. I'd do it, but I never had neither the need, nor the budget for SC Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Hello.   gclid is used as a click identifier, and then Go...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great post. Question which API should I hit to get that cost info by GCLID?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The only way we've been able to map a GCLID to cost data is to run a Click Performance Report to map GCLID to Campaign/Ad Group/Criterion. Then run both the Keyword and Criterion Performance Reports to get a daily average cpc for each keyword/criterion. You won't get the exact cost for each click, but unless you're trying to do cost reporting more granularly than a day it should work. It is very annoying to have to jump through those hoops but it's all that's available as far as I know.