AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to track real search queries as a referrer or parameter?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We would like to track the real search query a user entered into google before he clicked the ad and then bought our service.

Is this currently possible with AdWords?

I know that the regular referrer from Google does not provide the referrer any longer ('not provided').

And I know that I can view the list of all search terms on an aggregated level in the AdWords backend.

What I would like to see however, is the search term a specific user entered before he clicked on the ad. Is it possible to add this search term somehow as a parameter? Then our tracking software could read that parameter and store it in the database set for that customer.

Is it possible to get that data?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Superduper
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Unfortunately not. This data is only available in Google products like AdWords or Analytics. Your best bet is to try to drive as much traffic as possible through exact match keywords and pass the keyword through as a parameter. However, with all the changes to make exact match less restrictive it is not a great option anymore...

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Superduper
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Unfortunately not. This data is only available in Google products like AdWords or Analytics. Your best bet is to try to drive as much traffic as possible through exact match keywords and pass the keyword through as a parameter. However, with all the changes to make exact match less restrictive it is not a great option anymore...

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If you have conversion tracking set up in AdWords, you can see which search terms led to the conversion.

If you have few conversions, you should be able to connect search terms to real world customers, by looking at time of day, area code (if the conversions was a call) or user location data.