AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to pass custom Adwords variables (like unit size etc)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are looking in to passing additional conversion data. In DCM it's possible to do this through custom floodlight tags. Is there any way to do this in Adwords? So we can see things like unit size, zip code, length of stay in Adwords reporting. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it possible to pass custom Adwords variables (like unit size et

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Max
Fantastic question.
The short answer is, unfortunately, no. Not in AdWords.
However, this facility is indeed available in Google Analytics using custom dimensions. You can pass these custom dimensions in the new AdWords upgraded URLs and see the AdWords reports with these dimensions in your GA AdWords reports.

So while it's not possible in the AdWords UI, it is possible using the AdWords reports in the GA UI.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. I've heard that suggested as a solution, but I've also heard GAs resampling becomes an issue with getting consistent reporting. I have a call today with Google and will post their comments in this trend.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After speaking with our Google rep, the short answer is no. However, if there are a limited number of possible values of the custom conversion, you can create a conversion for each value and increment by one when it's selected. This can then be viewed in the reporting UI by adding columns for these conversions.

So for example, I would create one conversion and column for "small", "medium" and "large" respectively, and attribute a count to one of those depending on their choice. In addition to this, I would fire a regular "overall" conversion. 

One thing to note, however, is that custom conversion reports only are available from the adgroup level and abvove, and also not through the MCC level reporting.