AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to collect the gclid on phone calls?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have Adwords Website Call Tracking set up in my account. This is the feature that dynamically changes the phone number on the website to track call conversions. It works great.

I want to take this a step further and collect the GCLID from these calls. The idea is to track these calls all the way through the sales cycle, and upload the GCLID's upon completed sales through Adwords offline conversions.

Is this possible without a 3rd party call tracking platform?

Are there any scripts or Google Analytics/ Tag Manager work arounds that could accomplish this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it possible to collect the gclid on phone calls?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Troy,
There's no official way to do this but you can of course use a Javascript function or server side scripting function to pull the GCLID from the URL on an onclick event of the click on the phone number.

However, if you're running click to call ads or the user doesn't click on the number to call, you're out of luck. We've implemented this into a client's CRM but we had to use a third party call tracking tool.