AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is google able to track users without a cookies?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently I went to a website, then started seeing their ads across different website. Based on their url parameters, I know they are running a retargeting campaign. Then I cleared all the cookies. However, it didn't stop their ads, and based on the url parameters, they are still from the retargeting campaign! So my question is, can google track a user without a cookie? 

Thanks!

Sarah

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah O
September 2015

Re: Is google able to track users without a cookies?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Sarah O

Re-marketing is a cookie based targeting method.
It sounds as if not all cookies were deleted or you revisited the site.
When you delete a cookie the advertiser's  ID (stored on the cookie) is also deleted and by that the user is  deleted from the Remarketing list;

Chrome extensions, (which  are available on chrome web-store)  which can tell you which cookie is stored on the browser  when you browse a given webpage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah O
September 2015

Re: Is google able to track users without a cookies?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Sarah O

Re-marketing is a cookie based targeting method.
It sounds as if not all cookies were deleted or you revisited the site.
When you delete a cookie the advertiser's  ID (stored on the cookie) is also deleted and by that the user is  deleted from the Remarketing list;

Chrome extensions, (which  are available on chrome web-store)  which can tell you which cookie is stored on the browser  when you browse a given webpage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’