AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is Paid Traffic is Going to Direct Traffic?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Is Paid traffic is recorded as Direct traffic, I have doubt on this because, recently we launched our new website, people are not aware of it, we are doing E-mail marketing & Paid Ads for promotions, but compared to Paid and E-mail our Direct Traffic is more.How it's possible?

Can any one please clarify my doubtSmiley Happy

Thanks in Advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is Paid Traffic is Going to Direct Traffic?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Ya most likely. Sounds like you ought to tag your email campaigns instead of relying only on Source Reports.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Swetha
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Swetha Reddy,

Paid traffic visits will not record as direct traffic as there is referrer data. If the links are properly tagged, it will also show as paid traffic. From your emails, if they access their email through a web site like gmail or hotmail, it will show referrer data. If they download the email with a client like Thunderbird or Outlook, that will be direct traffic. From your description, it seems you have tagged your email links. If you used utm_ names, you could get paid direct traffic. In this case there will be overlap between Paid and Direct traffic.

You could be seeing return visits from bookmarks. If your old site redirects to the new site, that redirection will carry the original referrer data. So, if a visitors goes direct to your old site and is redirected to the new site, that will be a Direct source.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's happening the same thing to me but with Facebook Ads If go to Attribution "first interaction' all traffic comes from Direct traffic. What can be happening? I made the question here. https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Tracking-Goals-Ecommerce/Strange-data-in-First-Interaction...