AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is GCLID unique for every visit from same ip address or same visitor??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to know that the GCLID made on every visit through an ad is also unique for same user visiting second time.

(same user identified by ip address)

my motive behind this is to know that is there any way to check which user has visited first time or second time?

please guide me an accurate solution

Thanks

Saurabh Dhir

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is GCLID unique for every visit from same ip address or same visit

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Check this discussion on the topic;
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Can-i-find-GCLID-parameter-in-ADwords/td-...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Saurabh Dhir,

Each time a user clicks on your ad the gclid will be different. Tracking by IP address is unreliable as that address can be used by multiple browsers.

You could try setting a domain cookie on the browser whenever you see a gclid value in the query string. If the cookie exists, this is a second (or third) visit of the browser, not necessarily the same user.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your reply patebardo, can you pls expand your view a bit more on how to set cookie on the user's browser and this will not work if the user clear cookies?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Saurabh Dhir,

None of the tracking will work if the user clears all cookies. You can set a cookie wither with either a server-side or client-side script. How you do that depends on the language you use on the server side. Most of my pages are static, so I do it with Javascript. For tracking purposes, you'll need to do something on the server side.

If you don't know how to do this, I suggest you get help from a developer.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you petebardo for your valuable reply..