AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is DEPENDS the most over use term for coming up with an answer?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have been doing ad words for quite a while and come across the same question regarding QS, CTR, BR, ROI and so on. How do you improve these?

Everyone says same things well depends on this or that. In terms of best practices it rightly depends on so many factors.

Not even Google can give you the answers because it depends what your trying to do.

I have seen different ways of setting up accounts different approaches some work some don't.

Basically does anyone actually have a tried.and tested techniques that they can share that would work for anyone. This is more for ad words beginners who want answers rather than it depends.

I challenge anyone to post a method that helped them in one area ever time across a range of clients. E.g bidding strategies
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is DEPENDS the most over use term for coming up with an answer?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yeah read that not much other than basics you can find anywhere. Depends what your looking for I guess.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adword-Tricks,

I think you are correct in one area...there are so many ways to go about an Adwords account.  Here's a paraphrase from a very wise man I know:

"I think that, when it comes to how to implement AdWords, multiple viewpoints are an advantage for the Advertiser. When it comes to technical implementation, there is usually only one answer."

I hate to keep adding to the thread in this manner but how one goes about every part of an Adwords campaign really does depend on what their advertising goals are.

If you're looking for some consistent suggestions that could probably work for anyone, check out the wiki articles here on the community.

I think many folks here could lay down a basic set of concepts that 'may' work for most folks but the reality is the more involved you get into Adwords, the more you learn and the more complex strategies and implementation becomes.

My Couple Cents

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey tom,

Thought it makes might be useful for folks to lay down the basic principles. Like account structure,bidding etc.

if I was starting I would love to test lots different methods then work out from them what works for me.

Or maybe a selection of books or blogs people use the most.

Instead of well it depends on this or that answers

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Adword-Tricks,

For areas like account structure, keyword choice etc..you could definitely put together some basic concepts that would work for most. 

-Organize Adwords campaigns around your website set up.

-Separate campaigns by network (Search, Display, Mobile, Remarketing etc...)

There are some good Wikis on some of these specific topics:

AdWords Costs

AdWords Account Structure

Measure Results with AdWords Conversion Tracking

AdWords Ad Scheduling

Ad Text Tips

Keyword Lists

You can explore more on your own as these are just a few.  Ultimately, the Wiki area here will become exactly what you are referring to; a collection on best practices, user experiences and overall Adwords strategies.  The cool thing about the Wiki articles here is that they each have a bit of a personal twist.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

1. Use the search terms report to find your top converting, greatest revenue generating exact match keyword search term.

2. Create a campaign, with one adgroup, and only that one exact keyword.

3. Use your top revenue generating ad as the only ad in the adgroup/campaign.

4. Add the exact negative of the single keyword campaign to all other search campaigns (if any targeting overlap).

5. Set your bids and budgets high enough to achieve 100% of the available impression share for the most profitable term.

6. Manage and optimize for PROFIT!

Tom

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Yes I guess DEPENDS is the answer Smiley Happy

All AdWords accounts should start with identifying your goals and that will determine what kind of plan you put together.

Aside from there being so many different business verticals and considering they can be B2B, B2C, different buying cycles, different goals (signups, sales, lead gen, brand awareness) there is no easy answer on how to setup an adwords account....it just depends Smiley Happy

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Tom halejr

Are you saying make it uber targeted for top converting terms. Isolating the into a seperate campaigns and adgroups.

I like it, that but what if it is a big account you would have loads of seperate campaigns.

Isolation of keywords is what focusing on more and more trying to understand the individual keyword.

Think CTR boost is a great source for ad copy creation. How much importance do people put on creating compelling ads? And individual adverts. Such a time consumer.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Is DEPENDS the most over use term for coming up with an answer?

Well, that depends. Woman Tongue

Fuzzy questions generate fuzzy answers. People post questions like, "should I pause keywords with a high bounce rate" and bounce rate is only half (or less than half) of the equation. "Does the keyword generate a proportionately large number of conversions" would be an important factor in making a decision about whether or not to pause a keyword.

In fact, I can't think of one, single feature in AdWords that I add, remove, or adjust based on only one factor. Everything is tied to everything else--all of the pieces are affected by each other. Whether or not I do X just depends on what Y and Z are telling me.

I challenge anyone to post a method that helped them in one area ever time across a range of clients. E.g bidding strategies

Anyone who claims to have a single strategy that always succeeds is either lying Smiley Happy or has only one account in one industry and thus not enough experience to know if their 'strategy' would work across the board.

Me, I'd be ashamed of myself if I even tried to use a single strategy for all my clients. Managing an account selling high-dollar solar energy systems is nothing like managing a small, local catering business and the same strategies aren't going to work for both of them. My clients don't pay me for boilerplate--if successful boilerplate techniques worked, they wouldn't need to pay me at all. They could do it themselves.

AdWords is not a simple product. It's complex to meet the varied needs of hundreds upon hundreds of thousand advertisers around the globe.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*