AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is Adwords First click or last click

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I can't seem to find a straight answer to this questions. Does Adwords report on first click or last click. Can someone please shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rashed K
September 2015

Re: Is Adwords First click or last click

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Rashed. AdWords conversions are attributed to the last AdWords click. Other clicks / impressions go under the "Assisted impressions / conversions" sections / columns.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Calin,

That's great. Thanks for clearing this up for me. Just so that I can fully understand this properly and understand the difference between Adwords and analytics tracking, can you tell me what would happen in the below scenario please:

someone visits the site using organic, then they click through Adwords and then later they click through organic and convert.

Adwords would put this as an adwords conversion and analytics would say that this is an organic conversion. Is that correct?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Rashed.

Yes, it is correct, with one mention: the organic visit leading to a conversion should happen within the AdWords conversion window (generally set at 30 days, but can vary between one week and 90 days) otherwise it won't appear in the AdWords interface.

Also, dates reported are going to be different: Analytics will assign the conversion to the day it happened, while AdWords will assign it to the day of the last AdWords click before the conversion.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Cool thanks. I'm still quite confused about the role attribution in Adwords though when it comes to the Click Assisted Conversions and the Impressions Assisted Conversions columns.

It appears to me as though as long as Adwords is in the sales funnel (within the number of days set by the cookie), then Adwords will assign a conversion. So basically if Adwords played a part, then it'd report a conversion. If this is true then would I be correct to assume that the total number of account conversions is in the conversions column and not in conversions + click assisted conversions + impressions assisted conversions? Because the click/impression assisted conversions would have been reported elsewhere within Adwords in the conversions column for a different keyword.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

True. If AdWords is a touch point anywhere in the funnel, within the cookie interval, it will report a conversion.

And the total number of conversions is in the conversions column.

However, the assisting clicks and impressions may not necessarily appear in the conversion column.

If the funnel is something like keyword 1 > keyword 2 > keyword 3 + conversion, only keyword 3 will appear as converting keyword, because there is one conversion per three AdWords touch points.

(Of course, 1 and 2 appear as assisting).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Colin Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You're welcome, Rashed. Do I get a lamb as well, along with the new name? Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Haha I've just gone through our conversation and I have no idea why I thought your name was Colin. Sorry.. erm... Colin ☺

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Guys, I have a follow up on this question. I understand the difference between Adwords and Analytics attribution, but something is not adding up when we talk about Adwords vs Adwords.

If someone clicked on my campaign on day X at my Campaign 1 and didn't convert, but comes back a few days later through a click on day Y at my Campaign 2, I'd assume that all information regarding the conversions will be attributed to Campaign 1 in the first place. Isn't that the case?

What's creating my confusion is this: For many years I also learned that Adwords used the First Click as attribution. It was on the help material, but I can't seem to find anything now. The ones I found and as you guys mentioned, says that adwords uses the LAST click as attribution, as we can find here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

In this article, 2 paragraphs comes to my attention:

1. Attribution differences

AdWords will attribute a conversion to the last AdWords click only. On the other hand, for all reports except the Multi-Channel Funnels reports, Google Analytics uses a last click attribution model across all channels (excluding direct). For example, let’s say a user clicks on a creative from your AdWords account, then returns the next day via a Google organic search result and reaches your Goal page or triggers a Transaction. Google Analytics will attribute the Goal or Transaction to google/organic. AdWords will attribute the Goal to the AdWords campaign.

2. Date of Transaction

AdWords reports conversions against the date/time of the click that led to the successful action, not against the date of the successful action itself. This allows you to match the value generated to the right advertising cost. For example, let’s say a user makes a purchase on July 20th, but clicked on the creative three days earlier, on July 17th. In AdWords, the conversion would be attributed to July 17th, the day of the click. Conversely, in Google Analytics, the conversion is attributed to July 20th, the day the conversion actually occurred.

» Question

Reading that "AdWords will attribute a conversion to the last AdWords click only" simply doesn't match with "For example, let’s say a user makes a purchase on July 20th, but clicked on the creative three days earlier, on July 17th. In AdWords, the conversion would be attributed to July 17th, the day of the click". This would lead me to believe that DATE information would be attributed to July 17th but conversions information would go to Campaign 2 on July 20th. Is that really the case? Because for me, every conversion information would go to Campaign 1 on July 17th, since it was the first interaction from the user, and that's how it worked in the past (even with tests from my own).

Can someone update me on this? Am I Missing something?

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click