AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is 5/10 the new average Quality Score?

N/A
# 1
N/A

A recent article in "Search Engine Watch" stated that an average Quality Score is now closer to 5/10 than 7/10. Do you guys agree or disagree with this statement?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is 5/10 the new average Quality Score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello;
Can you link the article?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

N/A
# 3
N/A
No, I cannot, but that should not prevent you from sharing your opinion regarding the accuracy of the statement.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Although the AdWords post seemed a little cryptic, it seems to me that 5/10 is going to be the new average QS.

Here is the problem that I think they were trying to fix.

Depending on the industry that you are working in, the average QS was very different. We have had excellent campaigns that had an average of 4 QS. It seemed like no matter how good you account was, your industry would always have a low QS. That said, if everyone in your industry has the same 4 QS, then we all pay the same price, same as if we all had a 10. And, from the AdWords post, it seems like they are not changing the way they calculate the bids, just showing us different QS in our reports.

It looks like AdWords is shifting it's QS reporting to let you know how you stack up to everyone else. More of a bell curve then absolute grading. If you have a 10, then that means great job, vs. a 4 means that you are below average. With the old reporting you could be in the 90th percentile and still have a 4, now you would probably have something like an 8 or 9.

My two cents.

Search Engine Watch article

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OOhh ...You are referring to the "QS promo blog post" by Google that did not get into specifics, and did not reveal much. Smiley Surprised

My speculation, as suggested by Joe, is that Google wants to "normalize" QS relative to other advertisers, and to "built" a relative scale for QS.  What statistical tools Google is using,  thedistribution type  attributed to QS (whether Gaussian or another), and whether QS is now calculated differently based on  industries (e.g. travel, financial...)  - I have no clue.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

N/A
# 6
N/A
When I posed this question, I was well-aware that there was no "right" answer, since the best that anyone could offer was their personal opinion. Nonetheless, I felt that those opinions would be of considerable interest to many others in the forum. I would like to thank both Moshe and Joe B. for submitting such well-considered and informative replies. Each one was actually more helpful than I would have expected when I originally submitted my question. Does anyone else have anything more to add?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I've never heard that QS 7 is average. To me, it's always been 5 but technically, Google could set it to whatever they want. As the QS is shown as n/10, seems logical that 5 being the half-way point is the average. It would be confusing and everything skewed if it was anything but 5.

My view of QS is a standard deviation problem. Your CTR (at least for that portion of QS) compared to the historical average of that keyword. SD may not be the way they actually do it but good enough to explain the principle. It could be one of a dozen other distribution methods. Setting the average QS at 5 means that if your CTR is one SD higher and your QS becomes 6. Two SD higher and your QS is 7. The reverse is true is you are one SD lower, your QS would be 4.

Given that, there is no reason to calculate differently for different industries. It's built in no matter the method used. It would also not make sense to set a different average QS for different verticals.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I am now seeing a general drop in reported Quality Score across my managed Accounts.  It's important to note that according to the blog post, the change is only in the reported score, not the score itself as used in auctions.

It is something of a pain since I monitor "Account QS" across all my managed Accounts and this change has effectively made the history worthless, but that's a common feature of AdWords changes Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

N/A
# 9
N/A
Hi Jon,

I'm especially glad to see that you've joined the discussion, but I don't understand your reference "according to the blog post."

I think it's probably a reference to one of your posts on your business blog. If so, could you give me its date, so that I can locate it.

Thanks in advance.

Don

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Jon's referring to the Inside AdWords blog post, http://adwords.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/improving-quality-score-reporting.html I believe.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.