AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid clicks rate!

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

I was going through a campaign and when i check the invalid click rate i realize it can be high than normal.I know it's not possible to benchmark invalid click rate but from your experince tell me your idea having this kind of high invalid rate is normal or can we suspect something else is going on?

Capture.JPG

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid clicks rate!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nisal L,

I would expect such an invalid click rate from a Display Network campaign, but judging from your CTR , it must be a search campaign or a Display-Remarketing. I have never encountered such a constant high rate of invalid clicks so I suggest to also look at the geographical report and try to isolate them to some pattern, maybe they are from an area you can exclude.

You also have the opportunity to file an investigation request here :

http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/advertisers/click-investigation-request.html

In display there is indeed a risk of having your ads served on some bad publisher sites, the fight against them is constant ( not only from the point of view of invalid click rate) as you can see from this report :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sJF2iwRuWCQ/UtiXrLg5UTI/AAAAAAAAAvc/itcm4NCn3t8/s1600/bad+ad.png

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the reply. to have a clear idea I'll explain the campaign settings as well.

Campaign type - Search & Display Networks - All features

However as you figured out already even though this campaing been running on Search and Display both almost all the clicks came through search. Below image will show that.

Capture.JPG

And I did checked Geo reports also, This is a campaign targeted to Spain only and most of the clicks came through spain within few citities.

So I think there could have been some issue here. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nisal L
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I just noticed that in the "User locations" report even if I add the column "Invalid clicks" there is no data  to link this metric to cities, to decide if a city is the source of the problem.

Also I tried to use the button Segment by "Device" or "Network (with search partners)" to see if the source of invalid clicks can be isolated to "Search partners" or "mobiles" which you could switch off, but the campaign does not segment invalid clicks by devices or network.

The invalid clicks seem to be available as data only in the Time reports...........except the useful segment "Hour of the day" , I also thought you could use this segment to calculate if it is worth changing the schedule to exclude an hour or two if the invalid clicks are concentrated at night for example.

My general conclusion is because your Ad positions are in the top 4, competitors could be the cause of these clicks. There is no other means of segmentation of invalid clicks in the AdWords interface to help you change the campaign to eliminate them. 

Use the link to request an invalid clicks report, it is your best option right now.

The good news is that google detected them and probably you got a refund for them in the Billing tab.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi,

Yes I also think that only option is filling the invalid click report,other than that i don't see any other option. Thank you for your input. I'll wait today for anyone else feedback/thoughts also and then send the report

Thanks

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is rather complicated but ......After an analysis of the Search funnels / Top Path Clicks report, you can see how many conversions occur in at least 2 Search Clicks.

If you have a very low rate of conversions from repeated visits , you can take the decision to block returning visitors in this search campaign , through Remarketing in Search.

If your Audience "All visitors" has at least 1000 members you can use it as targeting in Search.

You can add an audience of "All visitors" to the Search campaign and use a bid adjustment of minus 90% , this prevents returning visitors to your search campaigns by decreasing the bid a lot when a search they make matches your keywords.

Some invalid clicks could represent repeated clicks from the same browsers of competitors and this method should block Search Ads Impressions for them , until they clear the cookies from the browser.

If your site logs shows many repeated clicks from the same IPs and through a Whois lookup you find those IPs as belonging to a competitor intranet, AdWords allows you to block the IPs at the campaign level. This is only useful if the IPs are static.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
I got the IP address report from server sometimes back and tried to do cross check with amount of visits and IP address but I only found few. I checked whether they are dynamic or static addresses and after that I exclude few static IP address from the campaign. However it's very low amount of clicks when consider above chart.

Also I checked the top path report and conversion percentage, It is 35.29% so I don't think thats the problem yeah?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have 35.29% conversions from at least 2 paid clicks on Search Ads, than you cannot really exclude "all visitors" you would be losing way too many conversions Smiley Happy 

If you segment by device, do you have many conversions from mobiles ? If the conversion rate from mobiles is low, you can turn off mobiles with a -100% bid adjustment to see if it influences the invalid click rate.

However many people do research on mobiles and convert later on desktops so there is also a risk involved to lose people in the "research stage". A sideeffect of turning off mobiles could be also a decreased conversion rate from desktops.

Also look at the Month report, maybe those invalid clicks have been high in the past and now they are at a lower rate.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
I understand what u say and I dont think removing mobile is a wise idea specially this business is focus on taxi/shuttle services, so many people will be checking through mobiles and ya nearly 28% conversions happened through mobiles and tablets

And I checked recent invalid report too, I'm afraid even last month report shows me 8.05% invalid rate on weekends!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you may not be the only one, look here :

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-adwords-invalid-activity-refunds-17927.html