AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Interpreting Reach & Frequency Report

cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

There seems to me to be a discrepency in my reach & frequency report which I'd love some help understanding.

I'm running a campaign that has 774,442 impressions 'this month'.

Looking at the reach & frequency report I see the folllowing 

Month      Frequency   Unique Users

Apr 20121124,121
Apr 2012292,526
Apr 2012372,336
Apr 2012458,990
Apr 2012548,868
Apr 2012641,048
Apr 2012735,070
Apr 20128 or more285,175

If I add up the unique users I get 758,134

So my question is how can there be 774,442 impressions and 758,134 unqiue users in a given month when 285,175 unqiue users saw 8 or more ads (285,175 x 8 = 2,281,400 impressions)

Thanks for your help!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Interpreting Reach & Frequency Report

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Google may be including the "free" impressions from views/clicks they considered invalidated. Try adding the invalid clicks columns to see if it adds up.

- David

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Also what date range are you looking at? I would make the end date of your report not today or yesterday...make your end date 3 days prior to today so you are looking at completed reporting. It can take time for the R&F data to filter in.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello. Did you notice the decreasing numbers, as you go down the rows? People who saw two pages saw one as well, right?

And those who saw three also saw two, and so on. That's why the numbers don't add up. (or that's what I make of it)

Apart from that, when calculating reach, sampling is involved.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472714&from=59385&rd=1

Google calculates the estimated frequency by obtaining data from a sample group. This data is then applied to the full set of impressions to determine the estimated reach.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. thanks for your response. Ive had a look and don't believe I can add invalid clicks column to a reach and frequency report.

cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

Even when doing the reach and frequency report on a week by week or day by day view shows the same issue.

cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
cpw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi thanks for the reply.

I interepret this table as

124,121 persons/computers saw the display ad one time

92,526 persons/computers saw the dipslay ad two times

and so on....

So in that case, I would assume you cant have a unique user that saw the ad once and also saw the ad twice.

The only thing i can think of is that I am currently running 2 campaigns. Each campaign has 6 different display ads and the stats I provided were the totals of both campaigns so I'm not sure how the numbers are effected.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to find out how many unique viewers saw one of the 12 display ads that are running.

Thanks again.

Apr 20121124,121
Apr 2012292,526
Apr 2012372,336
Apr 2012458,990
Apr 2012548,868
Apr 2012641,048
Apr 2012735,070
Apr 20128 or more285,175

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You're right, I got it all wrong there. Don't know why I thought of pageviews when it's all about ads. Mixed them up, sorry.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

What I see in the help center though is that they talk about "The average number of times a unique user saw your ad over a given time period". If you have 8 ads in an ad group, and 4 ad groups per campaign (I'm looking at such a setup) I think it should read  "The average number of times a unique user saw (any of) your ads over a given time period".

And the clue may be here: "Unique user = a single individual or browser who accesses a site or is served either unique content or unique ads. Also known as unique visitor."

This may mean that one user sees exactly the same page, with the same ad showing several times (through reloading or clickin on a link that leads back to the same page), is not counted as unique, but the impression is counted by AdWords.

Sorry if I don't make too much sense here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i have had the same problem with the report and been arguing over it it with adwords team for some time. The main issue is that the report is very poorly presented, therefore incorrectly interpreted by us.

I figured there is a problem when sum of unique users in that month was equal to impressions, which i dont agree with. Adwords says a user can be included in more than 1 user frequency bracket, that is, say a user saw the ads 3 times in a month....that user will be included in the frequency=1 bracket, frequency=2 bracket and freq=3 bracket. Now my issue was then frequency is an average by their definition, how can a user have 3 frequency brackets, that is, 3 averages......that makes it illogical to have 3 averages for a month period, it shudnt be an average then. ......

I can go on about the report but Adwords could have made it easier and friendly for us to understand when you look at it first time. The sad thing is many people understand it the way you did (the wrong way), and I did too initially.......and its unlikely anyone will find this misunderstanding unless u run a short campaign and scrutize the results in detail!

Lastly, looking at how adwords calculates unique user column.....how did they calculate frequency bracket "8 or more"......freq 8 + freq 9 + freq 10 etc, it so, that will be double counting on users who are in bracket 9,10,11,etc!

The report is kinda useless to be honest, to make it useful adwords just need to change the formular used to calculate unique user stat!

By the way if u had limited the frequency capping to 8 or less, your unique visitors would have equalled impressions!