AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Intermittent problem with onclick google conversion tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me start by saying that I have already spoken to adwords support tech about my issue and they could not solve the problem but did confirm I have all of my adwords correctly setup.

Ok, I am using conversion tracking via the onclick method on a page on my website before my customer is sent to my payment gateway on a 3rd party site. I cant add conversion tracking to the 'Thank You' page as it is not always shown, it depends on how the payment is processed. I was using the page onload method for conversions but as this was on my checkout page it was not as accurate a method as using the onclick method on the payment buttons on the same page.

I have 6 different payment buttons that go to different payment gateways depending on the payment method chosen. Each is a simple img src with a onmouseover and onmouseout to provide pointer to cursor changes and a onclick that runs the google conversion function. I also have the correct google javascript on the page.

It works correctly, people are buying items, conversions are being tracked correctly, google tag manager is happy and the adwords support tech say that they cant see anything wrong.

Unfortunately around 1 in 50 people get as far as the 6 payment buttons but can go no further as, according to them, none of the payment buttons are clickable, they are just appearing as images.

From the information I can get back from them this appears to be happening on all major browsers and none of the customers I have spoken with are using any form of ad blocker. I have tried to replicate the issue myself, tried all the main browsers, tried different versions, tried a lot of different ad blockers but for me and most of my customers the problem is not possible to replicate.

I am therefore currently unable to fix the problem but I am losing several hundred pounds in sales each day.

The same method that is used to create the buttons (img src with some javascript) is also used on a button that the customer clicks to reach the checkout page so I know that it is not an issue with how I hjave the buttons setup.

If I take the google conversion code out of the situation and replace it with a javascript created link then the problem goes away, but so does the conversion tracking.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be or have any idea as to how I might be able to trace the problem to its source?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Philip,

I guess the question that has to be asked is how necessary is the "onmouseover and onmouseout to provide pointer to cursor changes"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why do you believe that the mouseovers would have any bearing on the issue?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well, if the Google code is implemented correctly, and otherwise there is just a button, there is no reason for the button to disappear. 

So that suggests that the mouseover javascript combined with the Google javascript are combining to create the occasional problem. 

You have tested removing the Google javascript, so the next logical step is to test removing the mouseover javascript.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is specific to certain users, they see the problem continually as opposed to intermittently.

Removing the mouseover has no effect. The image, when clicked, does not send the user to the next page for this same set of people.

The only code that passes the customer onto the next link is the google function run by the onclick.

The issue must be linked in some way to the google function. I am currently trying to determine if the function is not being seen as a valid function by this set of people.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have modified the onclick so that it goes to another javascript function first that tries to deteremine if the google function is a valid function. If it is valid it continues with the google function, if it is not valid then it opens the link to the payment processor without using the google function.

So far this change appears to be working which suggests, that for the small number of customers with the problem, the google function is not running correctly resulting in the link not being generated.

This would suggest that the issue lies with google or at least something that the clients device has and google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just an update in case anyone else has this issue.

The modified javascript function did not solve the issue directly but pointed me in what I hope is the direction.

I changed the code on my site so that the images that go to my payment provider are now seen as "a href" before they are seen as onclick. This way if the onclick function fails (due to the google code not working for a subset of users) then the page defaults back to using a href for the images.

This appears to have solved the issue but proves that a number of users are being blocked by the google conversion code not working if this is the only method used to pass people onto the next stage of your checkout.