AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Installing Google Adwords Conversion Code withouth post-registration landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I would like to start tracking registrations on our website that came through PPC. The problem is that we do not have post-registration landing page. After visitors register, they are redirected back to the home page. Is there any problem with this if we set the code on the homepage? Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Installing Google Adwords Conversion Code withouth post-registration landing page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kaataj,

This is sort of a double edge sword and not something I would recommend. 

Let me see if I understand correctly.  Your ads, when clicked, send users to a registration page.  Once the registration is completed, the user is sent back to the homepage? 

If this is the case, yes adding conversion code to the homepage would register these conversions for you but also, anyone who clicks an ad and then views your homepage would also be counted as a conversion.  This is probably not what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Installing Google Adwords Conversion Code withouth post-registration landing page

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kaataj,

This is going to be a little tough to do. As Tom said, simply placing the conversion code on the home page will register a conversion any time a vistor who clicked on your ad within the last 30 days. I'm sure that's not what you want.

However, all may not be lost here. It depends on how you do the redirect and how your pages are created. I will assume the form data is gathered by a servser-side script in php or dot net or something similar.

If the home page is dynamic (rather than a static page), you could conditionally place the conversion code on the home page if the immediately preceeding page visited was your registration form and the form was filled out and submitted. This would be my first choice.

Or, you could place Javascript on the home page that would check the referer data. If the referrer was the registration page, then have the Javascript create just the image. Or you could place the conversion code inside of a conditional block of code so it is only fired when the referer was a completed registration. This can be a little tricky and depends on what the referrer looks like when the visitor gets to your home page. If the visitor clicks on a link to the home page rather than submitting the form, you would not want to record that as a conversion. You could distinguish between the types of visits by looking at the url request (document.location). I usually place a value in the query string to help me distinguish between the two types of clicks.

One more, and this might be easier to deal with. Create a Javascript function that will create just the image part of the conversion code, then call that function from the onsubmit event of the form. I have posed examples of how to do that on this forum several times. See if you can find one of those posts. If you don't find one, post back here and I will post back some code to get you started.

All in all, it would be a much simpler solution for you to create and actual "thank you" page and include the conversion code on that page. If you are not comfortable writing complex code, I would strongly suggest this approach. Otherwise, get some professional help to set it all up.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for the reply, I guess the best thing will be to do the thank you page...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kaataj,

Wise decision on your part. It is so much easier that way.

Best of Luck, Let us know how it goes.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords