AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Information: Finding the GCLID in your Apache server logs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the process of setting up Autotagging, I found I was unable to locate the GCLID parameter in the HTTP_REFERER. As such, I believed the GCLID was not being passed to my website.

I was wrong.

After an absurd amount of time on the phone with the incredibly helpful Adwords team, I found that Apache, for whatever reason, drops the GCLID parameter from the HTTP_REFERER field  when it logs the data. This, of course, seemed to me to be a problem at Google, not at my server.

Upon very careful inspection (on the 10th attempt) I discovered the GCLID parameter IS reaching the logs, just not in the HTTP_REFERER field. It is available in the QUERY_STRING field and the REQUEST_URI field.

Examples are below:

"HTTP_REFERER":"http:\/\/www.google.com\/aclk?sa=L&ai=CGhr25JFvVbO_LJSNpgP8lYKwAeKJqL4DyunL92T87YPyCQgAEAEguVQoA2DJhteGyKOQGc...

"QUERY_STRING":"utm_source=ggl&utm_term=the%20best%20wine%20clubs&utm_campaign=WineClubs-General&utm_content=BestSub2&gclid=CNyHr-Da9MUCFQqJaQodAgMAqA"

"REQUEST_URI":"\/overall\/?utm_source=ggl&utm_term=the%20best%20wine%20clubs&utm_campaign=WineClubs-General&utm_content=BestSub2&gclid=CNyHr-Da9MUCFQqJaQodAgMAqA"

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Information: Finding the GCLID in your Apache server logs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi jessyca F,

This is true. the gclid is only found in the query string. I'm surprised folks on the AdWords team couldn't tell you that on the first call.

The referrer data is not reliable for identifying AdWords traffic. Look for the presence of the gclid value in the query string instead.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords