AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Inflated Converted Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We use Adwords to generate leads. Our main source is via a quick quote form. The quote confirm/thank-you page fires the conversion code after submit is clicked.

However, the number of converted clicks reported by Adwords is inflated by 20% compared to the actual number of quotes we receive via Adwords. To indentify an Adwords quote, I'm recording the referral URL by picking out aclk?

Our May figures record more converted clicks than our total number of quotes requested (including organic). Why is it over counting? I take it that the tracking code is sophisticated enough to handle multiple page refeshes and only records a conversion if the source is via Adwords.

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best,

Pink

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Inflated Converted Clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pink,

As per my understanding in order to track click coming from AdWords, this could could be done using the gclid parameter which is appended if you have autotagging (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3095550?hl=en) enabled in your account.

Also make sure that you have installed the conversion tracking code on goal completion page only i.e. some thanks page or sign up page etc.... but not on any other places of your web pages (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en).

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Re: Inflated Converted Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

I'll have a go with autotagging. We are definitely running the script on a thank-you page as per my first paragraph.
I've compared conversions to quotes on a daily basis and it's consistently out. Sometimes it under-counts! I don't expect a one to one ratio by the very nature of how the conversions are tracked. But this is out by some order of magnitude and makes Google Adwords look like it's doing better than it is!