AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Increased CTR, Conversion, but bounce rate skyrocketed

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Later this week I created a new SEM landing page, which increased CTR, Conversion, but also increased bounce rate. Bounce rate went from ~8% to ~70%.

Also, my QS decreased. Is this related?

The new landing page does not have a lot of links, but it has a nice, product-focused UI and a form which users fill it in. The conversion is based when the user fill this form. The form is not directly visible on the page, I open it via a JS modal.

What can I do to decrease bounce rate?

1. Split the form in a new page? (My fear is that a new request to server might decrease conversion).
  2. Add a trackPageView GA JS call when the modal opens. (It'll count as a new page view for adwords, and thus, decrease my bounce rate?)
  3. Use GA adjusted bounce rate.

Which option is the best?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Increased CTR, Conversion, but bounce rate skyrocketed

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI 

I am assuming the following 

1. the form is opening in JS lightbox or something like that

2. The outbound links on the page are for same domain

If above is true then you should definately have a virtual page view for button which opens JS lightbox.

If above is correct also make sure your conversion code is firing  correctly in lightbox after form is submitted

Also look for keywords and search queries which are giving you high bounce rates. 

Hope that helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nik,

Yes, you're right. The form opens via a JS modal after a button click (but there's no extra request, the content is just hidden before clicking the button). 

There are few links in the footer which are not for the same domain, but this hadn't changed from the old SEM page.

About the keywords, although there's room for improvement, it hasn't changed from the ads which were leading to the old URL, so, I think this is unrelated to the higher bounce rate I'm getting (as the unbound links).

The conversion code is working after the user submits the form (it actually takes him to another page).

The "virtual page view for button" you mentioned is tracking a pageView using GA JS?

Thanks,

Arthur

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

yes

virtual pageview is a "fake" pageview which should be recorded onclick of the button which opens the lightbox

you can find out more here

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/asyncMigrationExamples#VirtualPage...

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

While you're following this good advice, don't forget to stop and ask yourself one important question--are you running a campaign to get people to spend time on your website, or are you running a campaign to produce conversions?

What I'm saying is--does it really matter if bounce rate increased, as long as conversions increased?

If the new page improved conversions, then that's what matters. Bounce rate is a second or third-tier concern for most advertisers--although I realize that in your case it might be important for some reason.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your reply.

My question is: does the increased bounce rate affect Quality Score? Does Google takes this into consideration?

Arthur

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Arthur,

Concerning bounce rate and effect on QS, we really don't know and Google is silent on the issue! Some have speculated that a high bounce rate can result in low QS, but we have no confimation from Google on that. In my opinion, no, bounce rate is not considered when assessing landing page quality. Google does crawl your site to verify policy compliance, ease of navigation, page load speed and other factors. But Google has not revealed exactly how the landing page is evaluated. My own view on this is that you can run AdWords without Analytics, and in that case Google has no idea what your bounce rate is. If they can't apply bounce rate to these accounts, I don't see them applying it when you do have Analytics installed. That would be like giving a penalty for using their product/service.

But, I would defintely look into tracking the "virtual page view", aka "event tracking". The data showing the difference between a true bounce (no page interaction) and a false bounce (when the visitor requests the form but does not fill it out) could provide valuable insight into how visitors see and interact with your page. 

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords