AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect Conversion Values?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've finally managed to get conversion tracking up and running after the teething troubles we had in the previous topic I made. We had a few conversions overnight, and they seem to be working. However, I've noticed that not all the numbers add up.

Everything seems fine for the two orders we had via our Product Listing ads; the amount generated from the sales perfectly matches the Conversion amount shown in AdWords. However, we've had a couple more orders today through standard Search Network ads, and the amounts don't really match.

We had an order value at £17.45, which is showing as £34.90 in our conversion tracking. It's only showing as a single conversion, yet the converion value seems to be exactly double, suggesting there's been a glitch leading to the same order being recorded twice.

Similarly, albeit even more bizarrely, we had a £52.40 order which is displaying as a conversion of £27.40 - slightly more than half of the actual value. Whilst the previous mismatch seems to be down to duplication, I can't imagine how this might have occurred.

I will of course be keeping a close eye on this to see if I can notice anything more of a pattern, but is this a known problem at all?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Incorrect Conversion Values?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whoops! Bit of an embarassing discovery here!

Whilst I was looking at the 1-per-click conversions, I forgot something; we have separate AdWords campaigns for each brand, and then also have the majority of these brands and products repeated in a single Product Listing campaign; therefore, any sales generated through Google Shopping will appear under our product listing conversion tracking, rather than their respective brand AdWord campaigns.

Looking into all the numbers a bit deeper, everything is certainly present and correct; it seems it was pure coincidence that one order had a double value of another; one through Shopping, one through AdWords- with one order being for two of the item, hance the apparent duplication.

Bit of a mistake on my part there, but either way, mystery solved!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi carterandbond,

Yes, that is curious! I have no answers, but I do have a question.

Are you, by chance, looking at many-per-click conversion value? Did the number of recorded conversions match your actual sales?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whoops! Bit of an embarassing discovery here!

Whilst I was looking at the 1-per-click conversions, I forgot something; we have separate AdWords campaigns for each brand, and then also have the majority of these brands and products repeated in a single Product Listing campaign; therefore, any sales generated through Google Shopping will appear under our product listing conversion tracking, rather than their respective brand AdWord campaigns.

Looking into all the numbers a bit deeper, everything is certainly present and correct; it seems it was pure coincidence that one order had a double value of another; one through Shopping, one through AdWords- with one order being for two of the item, hance the apparent duplication.

Bit of a mistake on my part there, but either way, mystery solved!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi carterandbond,

Glad you got that worked out. You had me worried for a minute!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords