AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

In same time period, shouldn't total keyword clicks = total ad clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In one campaign, I have keyword clicks that total 235, but my ad clicks for the same time period (no paused or deleted ads) is 322. How is this possible? Can searchers see and click on my ad without typing one of my keywords?

The same question for conversions. Keyword report has 3 conversions, and the ad report has 13 for the same time period. How is this possible?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In same time period, shouldn't total keyword clicks = total ad cli

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vigilant, how old is this data?  AdWords reporting isn't real time and there are variations between stats in different sections when you include "today".  Examine some data for last week or look at the same date range you're looking at now in a few days time and you should see it all syncs up.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was looking at stats for a 24-day period, from June 6 to June 30. I used the same date range for keyword and ad reports and the numbers were very different.

Thanks for answering! I will try to look at other date ranges and see what I find.

Kay

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I can tell you that it is not from invalid clicks, I am looking at "All online campaigns" and flipping through the "Ads" tab and the "Keywords" tab, it is all the same, although I had quite a few of invalid clicks recorded in the dimensions tab.

In what menu are you viewing clicks ? Can you upload two print-screens with the two situations bluring any private data like cost or your ID ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kay, sorry but I have to ask this... You've said you have no paused or deleted Ads, but have you any paused or deleted Keywords?  Are both the Keyword and Ads tabs set to show "All"?

I also have to confirm that these are Search only Campaigns, not Search and Display or other variant.  If they are Search and Display or Display only are you using any Topic, Interest, Remarketing or other targeting method?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author vigilant
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Kay,

It may also just be a data lag. I think we have all seen keywords with CTRs of 200% and so forth temporarily, until Google sorts the data out. I know that's really no use to you, but is just worth bearing in mind.

Can you isolate where the discrepancy lies? I.e. you have looked at a 3 week time period. Can you look at it one week at a time and see what the differences are week on week? You could find that it all happened in one week or even one day. Conversely, if the discrepancy is spread out evenly over three weeks then I'm stumped, assuming Jon's good questions also do not shed any further light.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
There can also be discrepancies if you compare online adwords data with statistics click from adwords editor since it never downloads data from Today , only 1 day old data. Are you looking at the adwords editor ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did as suggested, trying to isolate the time period where the discrepancy showed up. It was on the very first day. I had turned off the display network that day, but found there were actually clicks from display networks in the report. I didn't see that until I filtered for networks. I learned a lot researching this, so thank you all for your suggestions.

Kay

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Excellent :-) Glad you got it sorted out! Otherwise it would have been a worry!
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Brilliant ! This is one of the moments when I am so glad to learn from this forum Smiley Happy