AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

In-Page Analytics- How are the percentages calculated?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When In-Page Analytics is calculating click-through percentages for a homepage that has a lot of links to external sites (which cannot be tracked), does it account for those links to the external sites within the total click-through percentage? 

For example, I have x links on my homepage that go to interior pages, which In-Page Analytics can track. I have y links on my homepage that go to external sites, which cannot be tracked. When I add up all the percentages for the links that go to interior pages (by adding up the percentages in the bubbles shown on the screen next to each link), I get 80%- does this mean that the links that go to external sites make up 20% of clicks on my homepage?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In-Page Analytics- How are the percentages calculated?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your question. 

You may get deeper insight by visiting the Analytics Forum. They may be better adept at navigating this with you. Please let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Try looking at the % Exit rate if it is same as 20% than it means that 20% of your users from specific pages are ending session buy leaving the page or maybe by clicking the external link.

Also one more think the percentage you see is based on the click that specific page receives. No matter from which side (for example top menu or footer)

If you have a single page that is internally linking in menu and also in footer or may be within content, than all of these links will have a same percentage because 3 links are pointing too same page. So make sure you don’t count the percentage 3 times. This can cause the problem in your calculation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Shanea, I didn't realize they were separate forums.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nouman. I actually spoke with a Google Analytics technical support member recently about this. He told me that the percentages are only for links that can be calculated (in other words, only links that direct users to interior pages of your website, not external links). So in reality it seems In-Page Analytics is not anywhere near accurate for sites that have a decent amount of links to external domains or subdomains that are not tracked with the same tracking code since there would be users clicking on those links as well.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm late to this discussion, but I think the missing "clicks" are follow-up pages on your site that aren't linked to from the homepage.

So if someone's path was Home -> Page 3, but Page 3 doesn't actually have a link on the homepage, it's part of the overall percentage but isn't shown.

I came up with this theory while looking in Google Analytics at Behavior -> Landing Pages -> (drill down on a specific landing page) -> Entrance Paths. This brings up a "Second Page" chart that (for me) matched what I saw with In-Page Analytics pretty closely, except it also included several Second Pages that have no links on the landing page.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This help thread is from 2014 and now closed to new replies. If you need assistance please make a new thread with relevant information about your specific needs with AdWords. 

Thanks.