AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

In Depth Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy,

We currently have a campaign for our new app, which has in-app spending. Is there a way to track the total money spent in app from our conversions? It would be even better if we could find this out by creative, so we know which users who originally clicked a certain banner, converted, and are spending money in-app. No matter how specific it gets, anything along these lines would be a very useful tool in measuring revenue we are getting as a result of our advertising efforts. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Pete

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In Depth Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pete, there's another Pete on this board who's our resident Analytics guru so I'll highlight your post for him (although please bear in mind it's the Holidays).  I say Analytics rather than Adwords as, at the moment, Analytics gives you a lot more information about eCommerce than Adwords itself so I suspect you'll be working in Analytics rather than (only) Adwords.

Are your Adwords and Analytics accounts linked properly?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon. I'll await Pete's response. Yes, my analytics and adwords both use the same account username and password. I have searched high and low for a solution for this, but maybe it's still too soon in the conversion tracking process to be able to track it with such detail. Even if we could track it on an aggregate scale, such as by campaign, that would be a huge help. Thanks for your help.

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

I'm not familiar with the proper Analytics setup for tracking in-app spending, but to follow-up on Jon's comment it's very important that your AdWords and Analytics accounts are properly linked so cost data can be applied.

You may be linked properly already, but if you haven't manually linked the accounts through your admin panel in Analytics take a look at this support article:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704341

Once your question is answered and you have your in-app cost data tracking properly in Analytics, this will make sure your AdWords and Analytics data talk to eachother.

Alex

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi guys, and Happy New Year!

I haven't tracked any app with Google Analytics before, but I have to say that there are two very different approaches depending on the kind of app we're talking about.

a) A usual web app, which runs in a browser which is always connected to the internet can use the regular Analytics tags placed on every page, plus the conversion script where appropriate. Somehow though I do not think it is the case.

b) An OS-specific app (iOS / Android, etc.). For such situations you need the OS specific SDK. Android https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/android/v2/?hl=en or iOS https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/ios/.

If b) is your situation, then you need to have your developers integrate the Analytics bits of code into your application and have the app send data to Google Analytics by calling specific functions and methods. Most likely you'll need to release a new version, with the Analytics "module" inside the app before you can see any data in Google Analytics.

I don't know what happens to apps which are not always connected to the internet, but whenever you make a purchase you need to connect to the internet so most likely this is the moment when the app can send data to Google Analytics.

Sorry for not being able to provide you with more info.

Over to you, PeteBardo.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have some experience of in-app-purchaes, although not so much and not so succesful, due to faulty implementation (I blame the developer)

Under "e-commerce" (-> Outcomes) in left column you´ll get data for purchases.

At least theoretically (haven´t tried it myself) you could choose "secondary dimension" and then "advertising - > keyword" (for example) to segment further.