AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - Just wondering if my viewing my own ads counts as impressions - or should I exclude my suburb reach in the radius? (second Day on Adwords - beginner)  - Nik

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Niko S
September 2015

Re: Impressions

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Niko ! Welcome to the Community !

This help page explains what you asked :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704363?hl=en

Just quoting : 

"

Check on your ad without affecting its performance

We know it's tempting, but it's best to resist the urge to search for your own ad on Google.com. Here's why:

• By performing searches that trigger your ad, you'll rack up impressions without clicks, which can lower your clickthrough rate and prevent your ad from appearing as often as it should.
  • If you repeatedly look for your own ad using Google search but never click on it, you might stop seeing it entirely. That's because Google's system stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in.

Best ways to check on your ad

• Option 1: Use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool
    See where your ad appears in search results for a particular search query. This is an easy way to check how your ad appears in context, and the tool provides the exact same results as a Google search without accumulating any impressions. Just visithttp://www.google.com/AdPreview, or click Ad Preview and Diagnosis in theTools and Analysis tab at the top of your AdWords account. After you choose the appropriate options at the top, you can see exactly which ads are being triggered by the search term you enter in any location.   "

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian, Thanks so much for your good advice. I'll read everything you've suggested reading. I suspected I was doing something wrong - but was trying to see where the ads were placed. I ever made 2 more ads - in order to get some impressions. Even after talking to the 'google expert person' for 3 hours on Friday, I was still a little bit overwhelmed. "Trial and error" seemed the best method to learn by - but maybe not so? Thanks again.! Niko

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Niko ! Welcome to the Community !

This help page explains what you asked :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704363?hl=en

Just quoting : 

"

Check on your ad without affecting its performance

We know it's tempting, but it's best to resist the urge to search for your own ad on Google.com. Here's why:

• By performing searches that trigger your ad, you'll rack up impressions without clicks, which can lower your clickthrough rate and prevent your ad from appearing as often as it should.
  • If you repeatedly look for your own ad using Google search but never click on it, you might stop seeing it entirely. That's because Google's system stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in.

Best ways to check on your ad

• Option 1: Use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool
    See where your ad appears in search results for a particular search query. This is an easy way to check how your ad appears in context, and the tool provides the exact same results as a Google search without accumulating any impressions. Just visithttp://www.google.com/AdPreview, or click Ad Preview and Diagnosis in theTools and Analysis tab at the top of your AdWords account. After you choose the appropriate options at the top, you can see exactly which ads are being triggered by the search term you enter in any location.   "
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian, Thanks so much for your good advice. I'll read everything you've suggested reading. I suspected I was doing something wrong - but was trying to see where the ads were placed. I ever made 2 more ads - in order to get some impressions. Even after talking to the 'google expert person' for 3 hours on Friday, I was still a little bit overwhelmed. "Trial and error" seemed the best method to learn by - but maybe not so? Thanks again.! Niko

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nik,

If it's a search campaign, use the Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool to see your ad. If your ad says "eligible", that means it only run on Google Search. When it says "approved" it will run on search partners as well.

You mentioned placements. That indicates you may be using a Display Network campaign. There is no good way to view your ad on the Display Network. Look on the Display tab to find out where your ads show up.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords