AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions halved

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My impressions have halved since channging our website. Nothing has changed in terms of keywords or bidding. Quality score has droped dramatickly tho. Impression share and impressions lost has had no significat change either. It might be a monthly trend but its very strange. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions halved

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dave, the drop in Quality Score is going to be the cause of the drop in Impressions.  The "quality of your landing page" is a factor in Quality Score so it's possible your changes to the site have been in the wrong direction.  What did you do?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dave,

I hope I have read your question correctly! I figure when you state, "My impressions have halved since channging our website." that "changing website" may include changing the domain name as well as the structure and content. If this is true, keep on reading. Just wanted to be sure we covered every possiblity here. I would not expect such a dramatic change in QS as a result of changing your landing page.

The display domain is invovled in the QS. Google calls it relevance. What the really mean is how likely is your ad to get a click by looking at the historical CTR for that keyword/display URL combination. So, even if you have retained all the same keywords, ads and landing page copy for the new URL, your QS will drop back to the "across all accounts" QS or relevancy for a period of time while your ad accumulates history. If you get good CTR with the new (display) domain, your QS should recover fairl quickly. You may need to bump your CPC bids up a bit to get good position on the SERP's in order to get that history.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
But would it really drop by 60%. As stated before impressions lost in rank has not changed dramatically
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RedDave88
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Dave, if your impression share hasn't changed (significantly) then it seems likely that everyone has just stopped looking for your Keywords, although this seems unlikely unless your business was heavily influenced by Valentine's Day...

What do Google Insights for Search say?  Can you see a seasonal drop here?

Even so, as they say, there's no such thing as a coincidence.  If you've just changed your site and this change coincides with a dramatic change in your statistics, although they don't have to be connected, that's a pretty strong indication.  Do you have enough data to tell how closely the change matched the change, as it were.  Presumably you know exactly when the website was changed and you can track AdWords impressions by the hour so...  (allowing for caches/DNS, etc.)

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits