AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Impression differ in campaign column than in Auction Insights?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

I wanted to look into Impression Share for one campaign.  When I added the column it said the Impression Share was 86% but when I selected the same campaign and looked into Auction Insights it said the Impression Share was 97%.

It is the only campaign in the account with 1 ad group.  very small but still number sreported to the client. 

I am having trouble trying to define why these numbers are different and could use clarification on this matter.

Thank you in advance.

Sophiee

PPCSophie
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCSophie
September 2015

Re: Impression differ in campaign column than in Auction Insights?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

The auction insights builds the report based on a percentage of impressions, not from all impressions. I often get the following message when looking in Auction Insights "32% of available impressions (from .........keywords) were used to generate this report." . It is a message just above the table of Auction Insights.

It could also be an issue of having deleted keywords reporting impressions in the regular interface while in the Auctions Insights only active keywords may count.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks @Adrian B.

Reading is fundamental and I some how read over that part which shows the percentage of traffic.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!
PPCSophie

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I also assumed that all impressions are used , otherwise why should we use that data other than saying "aha, now I know I am competing against many other websites " Smiley Happy ?

Why can't they offer competition information about all impressions ?

What about the other almost 70% of impressions which is a majority ? 

It is an amusing report, usfeul when you want an avg. cpc. of 0.02 cents because you think you have a niche keyword and you discover how other 5 websites bid on the same keyword maybe at 03.00 AM while you sleep.