AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Impression Spamming

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got a question regarding impressions, real/fake, and how google filters them.

Every couple of days, the location of a key competitor (we are in a very low impression business) seems to randomly fill up my account with a tremendous amount of impressions, usually accounting for 50% of them on the day. Sometimes, after a few hours, these impressions are subtracted from my account.

Does anyone have any idea what's occurring? How can I minimize the damage that this does my adwords campaign?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Impression Spamming

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To illustrate this: http://puu.sh/wqQWM/a70985dfc1.png

I know no two geographic areas are created equally, and not all bids/market competition is the same, but it's extremely obvious that something is going on in that area to inflate impressions. In a matter of minutes the geographic area in question will double my total daily impressions.

Impression Spamming

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

If your competitor's ad is also running, it will affect you equally - in that case it won't be malicious. 

Impression Spamming

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It would be simple for him to pause his campaign, then spam impressions, no?

I'm not sitting there looking at his ads to check to see if he is, though, heh.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Impression Spamming

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Christopher K,

Google use several "signals" to catch invalid clicks, including but not limited to IP address and cookies. They are pretty good at it.

Those clicks are adjusted in your campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords