AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Importing a Goal of visits of min 3 pages as AdWords conversion

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If you measure "visits of min 3 pages" as a conversion on your client websites / own websites.

What percentage would you consider to be "quality traffic" that is a signal of potential clients flow and what percentage is "very bad conversion rate which requires attention" ? Did you have cases with over 50% of visits , measured as an average for 3 months, going through min 3 pages ?

This conversion signal "visit of min 3 pages" is not very relevant, I know, it does not measure sale volume or sale value, but still it seems to me a pretty good signal for "traffic quality".

For example my successful cases see a 25-28 % conversion rate, from adwords traffic , when measuring visits of min 3 pages. Successful meaning the clients agree there is a significant rise in phone calls and give positive feedback.

Once a site falls below 10% of visitors navigating on min 3 pages, I had a client who noticed that the call rate dropped from 5-10 per day to zero. No changes to the site or prices in this situation, we could see no other cause than behaviour change.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Importing a Goal of visits of min 3 pages as AdWords conversion

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian,

This metric you use, is similar to "bounce rate" (inverted).

Normally Bounce Rate is the number of visitors who have not visited 2 pages - if you have adopted min 2 pages you would get a (100% - bounce rate). In the case of your measurement you have an improved (Bounce Rate) as it will not measure who visited 2, but 3 pages.

I think that your "site falls bellow 10% conclusion" is ok, it would be a similar to 90% Bounce rate (considering that bounce rate only see have not visited 2 pages and you are considering who visited 3 pages) - a 90% Bounce rate normally tells that there is something wrong on your traffic acquisition or landing page.

Regarding using it as conversion rate, is a really a good option in rare situations you have no form or cart to measure conversions - I would use it in last case but is good when you have no other option to fill all those conversion metrics on AdWords.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What do you mean by "min 3 pages"?
"3 minutes on a page"? OR "3 pages. - each one min"?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian,

This metric you use, is similar to "bounce rate" (inverted).

Normally Bounce Rate is the number of visitors who have not visited 2 pages - if you have adopted min 2 pages you would get a (100% - bounce rate). In the case of your measurement you have an improved (Bounce Rate) as it will not measure who visited 2, but 3 pages.

I think that your "site falls bellow 10% conclusion" is ok, it would be a similar to 90% Bounce rate (considering that bounce rate only see have not visited 2 pages and you are considering who visited 3 pages) - a 90% Bounce rate normally tells that there is something wrong on your traffic acquisition or landing page.

Regarding using it as conversion rate, is a really a good option in rare situations you have no form or cart to measure conversions - I would use it in last case but is good when you have no other option to fill all those conversion metrics on AdWords.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I mean minimum 3 pages per session , as described here :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3046660?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think using forms will lead to very few conversions , maybe around 0.5 % of the traffic will complete a form, and this will not help me to discover what keywords generate quality traffic.

So I get it that this method of counting sessions of minim 3 pages is a rarely used conversion method. Why is it preferable to use a form , when it is completed so much more rarely ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
In today's "instant" world this goal is a high barrier...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am sorry, I do not understand very well what do you mean @MosheTLV 

Which goal would be a high barrier ? The session of a minimum 3 pages , meaning that many users do not navigate so deep in a website because they want instant purchase ?

By "high barrier" , you mean high expectation because that goal is rarely achievable ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Adrian,

Just to chime in - I would be careful with this type of goal. Even if your form conversions are low, it's a better correlation to sales than the number of page visits. If you don't have some sort of metric to help you (even somewhat) bridge your traffic and revenue, your ads might not be profitable.

I don't mean to come off as dramatic but if your clients don't find AdWords to be profitable, they may begin to opt out.

Best,
Amy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Adrian;
Correct; "users do not navigate so deep in a website because they want instant purchase".
I can't find now, but even by Google's guideline, the purchasing page should be within 2 clicks from the landing page .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you MosheTLV , this is very interesting statistic for me, I suppose if visitors do navigate in 3 or more pages in over 25% it could be a good signal, for example that the website is captivating. 

Ok Amy, so quality traffic yes/no , has to be a decision based on 2 variables bounce rate and a revenue metric, not just bounce rate alone or 3 pages/session alone, got it.

It is a safe way to view the situation, but let's say that in some cases it is not possible to asses revenue, not even number of phone calls originated from adwords so we are forced to rely on other traffic quality signals.

By the way, is there a script to change the phone number on landing pages as a variable , in a way that when the visit comes from adwords, the phone number changes everywhere on the site , not just the landing page ? For example a script based on a cookie or a page parameter (like the gclid) ?

Thank you