AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Importing Google Analytics Goals

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, 

I have a question about importing GA goals into AdWords. We have a website that is currently in testing, and because a large portion of our account is Auto-Optimised we want to pull the GA conversions into AdWords before the site goes live. Is there any way to import the GA goals without having an AdWords completion on the goal? 

We are unable to get any AdWords completions because the content is not live an no traffic is being directed to the staging domain. We do not want to have to wait 2-3 days after the first converson have been completed to import this data. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Matt

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Importing Google Analytics Goals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Matt,

May I ask you what exactly are you looking for when you are saying that you want to import goals from a website which is still under testing phase?

Ideally my thinking is that you should import goals from Google Analytics into your Adwords account when your website is actually live. Reason being that you will understand and analyse the traffic of your website which is live (and not in testing phase). This would help you understand and overcome the shortcomings (if there are) in terms on online engagement of the users with your website.

Also you should be running your Adwords and Analytics on a live website and not on some demo server website or some testing phase website.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Matt

I am not sure about this, I have some experience of Goals not being possible to import as they don´t show in the "Conversions" meny (under "Tools and analysis"), although they do have completions.

Have you checked that place? Does it say that you have Goals that can be imported?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I'd have to agree with Pankaj here. Your live data is going to be different to the test data so you wouldn't want to be using it anyway. 

No matter what happens, importing analytics goals takes a bit of time and I think by trying to bypass this period you are risking a lot with your campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Analytics goals do not become available for import inot Adwords as conversions until there have been a number (and this number varies - I've seen some be available after two or three, others not until thirty) of goal completions in GA - from the AdWords traffic.

I don't think there is any way to force this.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I think my post may have been a little unclear - we are currently gathering conversions on our live site and using these conversions to auto-optimise many campaigns. Due to the sensitivity of DCO campaigns across GDN and many other auto-optimised campaigns we do not want to risk losing three days (or more) conversion data while we are switching over from one site to the next. I want to have the goal imported and ready to recieve data the moment the new site is pushed live to the public. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If I understood now, you are saying that you do not want to pause your campaigns during the transition phase (i.e moving to the new site) and you want to keep running Adwords with your testing website. Is it the case?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

OK, I think I understand what you are doing now.

Wen you move over to the new site (as long as there is no downtime) the campaigns will be running on 2 day old data already. As long as the new site converts, on roughly the 3rd day the new sites conversions will be imported so you won't have any gap in the data.

Does that make sense?