AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Imported Same Conversions 2* and 3*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've been using conversion import feature since October. When I get error:

"We are still processing this click’s information, please re-upload this conversion in 4-6 hours."
I simply upload the entire file again after few hours or days, since help article says it is not possible to import same conversion more than once (conversion with same GCLID, date+time and value). And it worked great till Februray, no conversion was imported more than once if it had all the data identical.

However, during Februray, I guess due to the uploading same files more than once (because of "we are still processing..." error), the system accepted 206 conversion more than it should, although they were duplicates.

I have now analyzed Febraury data, compared imported (accepted) conversions and uploaded conversions to see where's the problem (I used click date, not transaction date for both uploaded and imported conversions, of course) and here are the results:

DATE    Uploaded Imported Difference
2/1/2014     45     44      -1
2/2/2014     32     33      1
2/3/2014     34     36      2
2/4/2014     28     35      7
2/5/2014     37     36     -1
2/6/2014     46     52      6
2/7/2014     39     42      3
2/8/2014     33     39      6
2/9/2014     42     53     11
2/10/2014     38     87     49
2/11/2014     37    105     68
2/12/2014     33     85     52
2/13/2014     26     30      4
2/14/2014     23     23      0
2/15/2014     31     31      0
2/16/2014     38     38      0
2/17/2014     13     12     -1
Grand Total    575    781    206

It became hard to manage bids now when conversions are 35% higher then they should be.

In my explanation above, imported conversions is data I see under campaign tab multi per click column

and uploaded conversions is from downloaded files under tools - conversions - "download results" link.

All data is based on click date (we capture click date internally so we know click date of a conversion before uploading to Adwords).

Since it is very hard to manage bids now, (many campaigns, many ad groups and keywords, some data is okay, some is 2* and some 3* higher for certain days), I've been wondering is there any way to correct the data now after it is imported? And what can I do to ensure this doesn't happen again?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Imported Same Conversions 2* and 3*

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dragan,

Upfront, I'll say that I can't really help you on this and most likely you'll need some support from Google. But, I did see this snippet of info and thought it couldn't be clearer that you can and it's even suggested that you upload conversions more than once, just to ensure that the data being uploaded is exactly the same.

"It’s a good idea to re-upload any conversions that occurred shortly before your last upload, just in case some of them were too recent to be processed. AdWords needs 4-6 hours after the ad click before a conversion can be successfully uploaded. (If you upload a conversion too soon after the click, you’ll see an error message that says “We’re still processing this this click’s information, please try again after 4-6 hours.”)
For example, if you upload your conversions daily, you'll want to make sure you upload all conversions from the last two days, just in case some of the conversions from two days ago weren’t processed. Don’t worry about double counting — AdWords won't count the same uploaded conversion more than once."

Is there any possibility that your data may have slightly changed in your processing prior to upload on those days? I really don't know but that's the only logical, non glitch/error situation I can possibly see being responsible.

There is always a possiblity that someone around here has experienced this and can assist you further but if there isn't, I can suggest that someone at Google take a look.  That probably wouldn't be until Monday .  

I'll be watching this thread to see if you make any headway.

Good Luck!

-Tommy 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

JD Google Employee
Google Employee
# 3
JD Google Employee
Google Employee
Dragan, Tommy's analysis is spot on. I don't see any way in which those conversions would have been uploaded unless the files changed slightly between uploads. When we've seen this in the past, it's usually a problem with the date changing slightly. I also see you have lots of different conversion types. Might the conversion type changed in one of the uploads?

Regards,
Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The files weren't changed (nor opened) between uploads.
I have downloaded spreadsheets (Conversions - Upload - "download results") and examined data, the results are in my first post. There is more conversions visible in my account (under Campaigns, Ad Groups, Keywords or any other view) than unique conversions in uploaded or downloaded (results) spreadsheets. I have double checked everything and cannot find any reason for this, the conversions that were accepted more than once have all the data identical.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Dragan,

JD is actually one of the Googlers who worked on/headed up this initiative so I'm in no real position to to discredit anything he's suggesting here. Nor would I want/need to.

What I think you should be doing in 22 minutes is to get on the phone to 1-866-2-google and see what they can do for you. I'm not sure you have any other way of getting assistance.

Keep us posted.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

JD Google Employee
Google Employee
# 6
JD Google Employee
Google Employee
Dragan, give me a few days to look into this please.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sure, thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dragan Pozder
September 2015

JD Google Employee
Google Employee
# 8
JD Google Employee
Google Employee
Dragan, thank you for the thorough analysis.

We completed an analysis of your account and found a rare case where duplicates can be imported when the conversion type name is changed and then the same conversions are re-uploaded with the new conversion type name. In short, if done in a certain way, the system treats them as two different conversions.

This situation only occurs when you change the conversion type name in the AdWords UI. And it appears that you changed the conversions name 1-2 times during this period.

The good news is... 1) so long as you don't change the conversion type names again, you shouldn't experience duplicates, and 2) we are patching this edge case so this won't happen again.

Alas, we are unable to update those stats for those days. My recommendation would be to use the one-per-click conversion columns which should naturally deduplicate the data.

Sorry again for the inconvenience and thank you for the great data.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello JD, thank you for your help and helpful suggestion regarding 1 per click.

I am a bit puzzled now, since I don't remember changing conversion names (it was less than 2 weeks ago) and I am the only one with account access.

Thanks!