AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Importance of CTR vs. Impr? +Low quality score

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

CTR is a good indicator of performance. How do impressions factor into performance? I'm trying to determine which keywords are our top keywords, and I've been looking at keywords that have both a high CTR and a a high number of impressions. Is one of these more important than the other? What is the best way to determine which keywords are the strongest?

EDIT: Part below has been answered

Related: Many of my keywords with the most impressions are marked as "Rarely shown due to low quality score." I understand the quality scoring system, but these ads still have the most impressions out of all of our ads.

What does "Rarely shown" mean in this context? "Rarely shown" relative to what? Not sure if this question makes sense, but would appreciate any help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top keyword qualities? +Low quality score

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @TheCommon A,

"What does "Rarely shown" mean in this context?"

It means it isn't shown as many times as it could be with a higher bid. I usually ignore this warning unless I am sure that there is room for bidding higher without destroying my ROI.

Best,

Lakatos

Top keyword qualities? +Low quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply, Lakatos! I thought that might be the case.

If you or anyone else has input on the importance of CTR vs. Impressions, I would love the help.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author TheCommon A
June

Re: Importance of CTR vs. Impr? +Low quality score

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @TheCommon A,

Typically, Impressions and CTR go hand in hand with performance. AdWords does look at both metrics (along with other factors) to determine the quality of the campaign. 

• If you are focused on branding or building more exposure, impressions is most important. 
  • If you are focused on a high ROI (return on investment) or need to qualify the value of the advertising, click through ratio (CTR) is most important. 

This generally holds true for most advertisers. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Importance of CTR vs. Impr? +Low quality score

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Impression share is part of the equation. 

If you have a high impression share but low CTR, that is an indication that your ad content needs improvement.

If you have a high CTR but low impression share, that is an indication that you may need to raise your bids / budget.

Do you have a conversion strategy in place? 

Tom